Hatchery sending extras?

If you liver close to Texas, I suggest Ideal Poultry. Their minimum is $25.00 and no packing peanuts. I have used Meters and Whelp and love them, but the minimum is so many birds when I only want 10. Shipping is very reasonable and the closer to Texas then there is only a boxing fee.

I offer another suggestion.....
The feed stores around me offer to special order your chicks along with an existing order they have placed. Say they have a shipment coming in in early May and can get the breeds you want at that time they can modify the order to include chicks just for you with no added shipping cost. You get your chicks, they make a sale and possibly gain your business for future orders and the feed you will need.
They may ask that you prepay for them or put down a deposit.
The feed store closest to me keeps asking when I would like ducks. (Hubby wanted something expensive and I said only if I can get ducks... I guess they remember that.)

Yes chicken math happens.
I wanted six, worked that up to 42 sold some and freezered others, have 21 now with more on the way.:rolleyes:

Keeping chickens is entertaining and educational. I do hope you enjoy this experience.

The feed stores around me offer to special order your chicks along with an existing order they have placed. Say they have a shipment coming in in early May and can get the breeds you want at that time they can modify the order to include chicks just for you with no added shipping cost. You get your chicks, they make a sale and possibly gain your business for future orders and the feed you will need.
The feed store closest to me keeps asking when I would like ducks. (Hubby wanted something expensive and I said only if I can get ducks... I guess they remember that.)

I wanted six, worked that up to 42 sold some and freezered others, have 21 now with more on the way.
roll.png

Keeping chickens is entertaining and educational. I do hope you enjoy this experience.
Great idea, I love working with my feed stores! They are always willing to do what they can. Both ours will be receiving shipments starting Feb 1 through the first of Sept.

The feed stores around me offer to special order your chicks along with an existing order they have placed.
Say they have a shipment coming in in early May and can get the breeds you want at that time they can modify the order to include chicks just for you with no added shipping cost. You get your chicks, they make a sale and possibly gain your business for future orders and the feed you will need.

I wanted six, worked that up to 42 sold some and freezered others, have 21 now with more on the way.
roll.png

Your mileage may vary re: doing this. I did so, and had dismal results. First time, the 3 special breed pullets I ordered were all cockrels. Auto sexing breed, so there really was no excuse for that. Second time, the staff was clueless about needs of chicks. The chicks were hypothermic. Yes, there were heat lamps hanging over the bins. 2 lamps hanging 3+ feet high to be shared between 4 bins. One of my special order chicks was comatose due to hypothermia. All the rest of the chicks in the entire shipment were screaming, crowding into the corners of the bins, standing on their tip toes, trying to soak up a bit of heat. They were pig piling. Employees were totally oblivious to the needs of a chick. In spite of one of my babies being comatose, and all of the rest of the shipment being at huge risk of ongoing problems due to poor handling, it was explained that there was no guarantee on any chick that I took, once it was paid for. If a chick expired as soon as it was out the feed store door, that was just too bad for the customer. If I order direct from the hatchery, I know the chicks will get the care they need right out of the box, and there is a 48 - 72 hour guarantee.

Very true LG. I forget sometimes that not all feed stores sell as many chicks as my favorite one does.
I would amend the feed store suggestion to include making sure you trust the one you order through.

If you liver close to Texas, I suggest Ideal Poultry. Their minimum is $25.00 and no packing peanuts. I have used Meters and Whelp and love them, but the minimum is so many birds when I only want 10. Shipping is very reasonable and the closer to Texas then there is only a boxing fee.
It's possible they've changed their policy, but two years ago I ordered 7 pullets from Ideal and received an additional 8 Rhode Island red cockerels as packing peanuts. It took several days to find homes for the cockerels, which was more of a time commitment than I had bargained for.

I just took this off of Ideal’s FAQ on their site. They still do packing peanuts.

What does MALES FOR WARMTH mean?

It means that day old male chicks will be included with your order to provide warmth and comfort for the shipping of your poultry. We include males for warmth on any order that we feel needs the extra mass for shipping. You may purchase insurance if you do not want to have the males included with your order. If you choose this option, you will need to verify the order when it arrives at your post office and if needed, file the appropriate postal insurance form.

It’s easy to forget (or not realize) that each feed store is different, even if they are part of the same national chain. My local Tractor Supply does not make special orders for customers, they will order direct from their hatchery for you and have them delivered to your post office, but hatchery minimums apply. I can do that myself.

They do a pretty good job with the chicks, keeping them fed, watered, warm, and clean. They don’t know a lot about breeds though. One time I saw a bin of ISA Browns offered straight run. They had two brown chicks and about 3 dozen yellow chicks left. ISA Browns are red sex links, you don’t offer those straight run and expect to get rid of the males.

I love the chicken math disclaimer:)  Sent it to my family because I am surely infected.  Im going to go check out Dominiques.  I know nothing about those.  Thanks for the laugh and help.

I would add an endorsement for considering Dominiques. We received two as part of a mixed flock this fall. Being new to chickens, we did not know what to expect from Amy of the breeds and we absolutely love them. They were super friendly from day 1 and have stayed human friendly. They have a sweet, inquisitive nature and are physically affectionate (my son often spends hours cuddling with one on the couch---Not that I am recommending most people get that crazy about them, but it is pretty cute). Good luck with your endeavors!

I absolutely love Doms. Beautiful birds, nice little rose comb does well in cold weather. Very friendly, not aggressive in the flock. Reputed to make good broodies. Adding some to my flock this spring. had some several years ago. Auto sexing, can be used to make BSL.
Sounds interesting. Ill go check them out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom