Hatchery Sexing!

chickalator

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Senoia Georgia
i see alot of what gender is this and i was just gonna tell some facts about chick sexing for some folks who just dont know yet!

over time i have found that when sexing chicks it is easiest to use the wing method.

Young pullets have a tall row of feathers on ther wings with a hort row in between the large onew.

young cockerels only have a large long row.

to access thes feathers hold the young shick in your hand, gently grasp one of the wings, spread the wing feathers, adn press gently on the center of the wing. this will splay out the feathers and then you can effectively use the wing method!

good luck!

i was brought up sexing any chicks we had this way, and the males have one row and the females have two rows with one shorter than the other.

Several years ago I watched a show on TV about hatcheries. It may have been dirty jobs. Well, those people who sex the chicks were impressive. They grabbed the chick, turned it upside down, spread the vent and looked for "something". If they saw it - male. If not - female. I will say this, they may not be 100%, but are close to it.

The wing feathering sexing method will only work if the breed or strain being sexed has been bred for males that are genetically slow-feathering and the females are fast-feathering. Most breeds have not been bred this way and must be vent sexed. The males have a tiny bump inside the vent and the females are smooth. Some males have bumps too tiny and some females have a wavy flate area so a small amount of mistakes happen.

Old Rando has it. The chicks have to be bred from a parent that is slow feathering, and a parent that is fast feathering.

This method is generally used for Leghorns.

I was just watching the video moduckman mentioned just last night. I am ordering chicks from Welp. It was Dirty Jobs. I rememebered this video as well, and went looking for it to get a better idea of the process of what the chicks will go through. Now I understand why the hatcheries all say there is a 90% accuracy rate with Vent sexing. They go so fast; they can make mistakes. They talk about both feather sexing and vent sexing on the show. I believe Mike is at McMurray Hatchery.

I also ordered the vaccine for Merek's disease. Ouch! They show that in the video too.

Back
Top Bottom