hatchery suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bkterry, Mar 6, 2008.

1. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Im soon going to order polish and brahmas. I am curious about what hatcheries are out there besides mcmurray? Let me know of any that you know of thanks!

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I would always recommend Ideal Poultry. I've called and emailed with a billion and one questions, and they've always been polite and sent prompt replies. The chicks I've had experience with have always been healthy, but I'm in the same state as them so there aren't alot of issues with a long shipping trip to stress the chicks. They are also the most affordable hatchery IMO, and a BIG point in their favor is they have a $25 limit rather than a 25 chick limit.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    1) Your best luck will always be using the hatchery closest to where you live. Not all the big hatcheries have websites and sometimes you need to phone. But, the less distance a chick travels the better for its health.

Here is a comprehensive list from Feathersite:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKHatcheries.html

2) Having gotten birds from specialized breeders versus online hatcheries, there is no comparison. The quality of stock you get from dedicated breeders is always going to be superior. This may or may not make any difference to you.

4. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
  5. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    We are located in Kentucky, and I have yet to find many close hatcheries... most are in IA or pretty far west of us...

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
  7. ArrowChicken

ArrowChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2007
    Bond County, Illinois
    Meyer Hatchery is just to the north of you in Ohio and they're not bad. I've only ordered from them once and I did have a small problem (they sent the wrong variety) but they quickly rebated my money and offered to send out another box of chicks.

The birds I got were all healthy and thriving. And they offer quite a selection, too.

8. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:Yes, the Johns, I believe, own Shady Lane. They have a very good reputation, as far as I've always heard. Not a large hatchery by any means, but they have some good birds.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I have heard good things about Cackle Hatcheries, though I have not yet ordered anything from them. Our local feed store gets their chicks (for now [​IMG] ) from them. I want to say they're somewhere in the Ohio area, too... good luck! The polish are adorable!

10. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by