hatchery suggestions?

bkterry

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Im soon going to order polish and brahmas. I am curious about what hatcheries are out there besides mcmurray? Let me know of any that you know of thanks!

I would always recommend Ideal Poultry. I've called and emailed with a billion and one questions, and they've always been polite and sent prompt replies. The chicks I've had experience with have always been healthy, but I'm in the same state as them so there aren't alot of issues with a long shipping trip to stress the chicks. They are also the most affordable hatchery IMO, and a BIG point in their favor is they have a $25 limit rather than a 25 chick limit.

1) Your best luck will always be using the hatchery closest to where you live. Not all the big hatcheries have websites and sometimes you need to phone. But, the less distance a chick travels the better for its health.

Here is a comprehensive list from Feathersite:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKHatcheries.html

2) Having gotten birds from specialized breeders versus online hatcheries, there is no comparison. The quality of stock you get from dedicated breeders is always going to be superior. This may or may not make any difference to you.

We are located in Kentucky, and I have yet to find many close hatcheries... most are in IA or pretty far west of us...

Meyer Hatchery is just to the north of you in Ohio and they're not bad. I've only ordered from them once and I did have a small problem (they sent the wrong variety) but they quickly rebated my money and offered to send out another box of chicks.

The birds I got were all healthy and thriving. And they offer quite a selection, too.

Quote:
Yes, the Johns, I believe, own Shady Lane. They have a very good reputation, as far as I've always heard. Not a large hatchery by any means, but they have some good birds.

I have heard good things about Cackle Hatcheries, though I have not yet ordered anything from them. Our local feed store gets their chicks (for now
wink.png
) from them. I want to say they're somewhere in the Ohio area, too... good luck! The polish are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom