Hatchery with the "Best" Saipan Jungle Fowl?? PLEASE READ!!

Pics
Mine hatched March 17. From ideal poultry.pictures taken 3-4 weeks ago.

This was taken 2 months ago.. Saipan cockerel next to 7 month old Shamo pullet(she is the large variety)

I ordered 10 from ideal and kept the two biggest hens. They're year old now and not quite as big as I thought they'd get. But they are our tallest hens. They look quite a bit like the stereotypical pictures. I think they're crossed with some egg laying breed as we're in Montana and they have laid throughout the winter. One has gone broody now in January. They are very friendly and talkative and are probably my favorites. They are not any more aggressive than other hens and a couple of our other layer breeds are dominant to them.

I ordered 10 from ideal and kept the two biggest hens.   They're year old now and not quite as big as I thought they'd get.   But they are our tallest hens.   They look quite a bit like the stereotypical pictures.   I think they're crossed with some egg laying breed as we're in Montana and they have laid throughout the winter.   One has gone broody now in January.   They are very friendly and talkative and are probably my favorites.   They are not any more aggressive than other hens and a couple of our other layer breeds are dominant to them.
could you please post some pictures of them

I bought 10 from Cackle Hatchery last Summer.

I discovered the man that we were getting them from in Saipan had passed away. So that avenue is out for us.

But as I really still wanted some I bought some hatchery ones.

They were weak when they arrived as were all of the chicks. Most the Sapians passed away in a couple of weeks. The remaining two never thrived and died by a couple months of age. I raised them with ones, the same age, that I incubated myself. My hatches thrived so I know it was due to no fault of my own.

Only about three of the chicks I ordered made it to four months of age. They were small and weak and eventually died as well.

I lost all 25 chicks between three breeds.

I am looking to get some more this Summer. I had one I hatched out from an egg and he had a great personality and was beautiful A pack of wolves invaded my coop and stole 11 full sized chickens in one night. Unfortunately he was one of them.

So I am open to suggestions on where to get some more but I will not order form Cackle again.

Ok, I am going to try Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho. I live in Washington so I am hoping that with the shorter shipping distance and perhaps stronger chicks, that I have more success this Summer with the Saipans.

Their prices are very competitive as well. Minimum order is 25 and that includes chicks, ducklings and goslings. Flat shipping rate of $13.00 plus .15 per chick.

They are asking $7.50 per Saipan chick, straight run of course.

Also their hatchery has been around for a very long time.

Anyways, I though I would share that tidbit....

Hi just picked up four baby saipans from the feed store yesterday. The feed store stocks from Ideal. I have liked them and the other oreintals for a while so was excited to see these little guys!

A few questions:

1. The lady at the feed store said that the Saipans grow up and are extremely viscous to people? I hadnt seen that anywhere else and it looks as though most people even have mixed flocks. Do they tend to be a bit mean as they age?

2. Three of my babies are yellow with light wings but one is more buff and has a spot on its head-at this age can you sex them by color?

They are cute but seem a bit "slow" compared to other chicks I have had. It took them a long time to figure out where the food was. I actually had to place it on the bare floor of the brooder so they would begin to peck at it. very inquisitive though and very calm!

Hi just picked up four baby saipans from the feed store yesterday. The feed store stocks from Ideal. I have liked them and the other oreintals for a while so was excited to see these little guys!

A few questions:

1. The lady at the feed store said that the Saipans grow up and are extremely viscous to people? I hadnt seen that anywhere else and it looks as though most people even have mixed flocks. Do they tend to be a bit mean as they age?

2. Three of my babies are yellow with light wings but one is more buff and has a spot on its head-at this age can you sex them by color?

They are cute but seem a bit "slow" compared to other chicks I have had. It took them a long time to figure out where the food was. I actually had to place it on the bare floor of the brooder so they would begin to peck at it. very inquisitive though and very calm!

I had Saipans from Cackle and Ideal. The Ideal birds were killed by a dog around 16-weeks. The Cackle birds grew fine. I processed the cockerels soon after they started fighting each other, and one pullet was killed by my dog. I have one pullet left, she's almost a year old, hasn't laid an egg yet. She's not aggressive with people nor other flock members--if she is she certainly hasn't been aggressive enough to end up on the to-process list.

Back
Top Bottom