Hatchin' Plans for Next Spring.

xIndigoSkyx

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
St.Albert, Alberta
I was just figurin' out what I was gonna do next spring hatch wise. I think I have it pretty well planed out. Any suggestions for some changes? Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Auction is May 12th
Star collecting eggs on March 25th
Should collect about 42
Keep the eggs at 14 C for 7 days until the start of incubating
Start the incubation period on March 31st
10 ducklings to a box
4 groups of 10 duckies, 20 pekin and 20 rouens
by the time May 12th comes around they'll be 2 weeks old
10 x 4 = 40 x $10 = $400 is the most possible amount of money I will get
I might get less or more.
Keep 2 ducklings

Its good to plan ahead- I have an Auction in Late Feb and another in March that I am about to start hatching for. I hatch smaller groups so I have a variety of ages available since some people like the tiny just hatched ones- but others want some that are ready to go outside or even point of lay. I have a few young pairs here already that I will take if they dont sell in the mean time.

My only advise... Dont count your ducklings before they hatch. - Oh and dont forget to factor in the costs of keeping them for 2 weeks getting them to the auction- what are the pen fees or commissions charged?

No pen fees but they take 15% of what you got from it all. That's what the rest of my family said too! About the ducklings not hatching and all. I'm hoping that I get about 42 ducklings, you never know I've had up to 3 eggs in one day just from on girl! Keeping my finger crossed thanks for the advice.

Thats a great idea! I have a order for 11 ducklings one month in spring, and then a order for 3 then next month! Excited.to start hatching!

Well you should set more eggs than what you want to hatch because of the good chance of unfertile eggs, eggs not hatching, and ducklings dying after hatching, so I would say never count on every egg you get to hatch ?

And also, do 2 week old ducklings sell for $10 each in your area ? They certaintly don't here. And it may be better have fewer per cage, and that will help you get higher prices. There will be more people able to afford cages with smaller numbers. That is one thing I have saw with auctions, I've seen people bring in big cages of 10-15 or more roosters all in one. Cage and they sell for dirt cheap because 1) people don't want that many roosters and 2) they can't afford to pay what they are worth all at one time so a cage of ten or more adult roosters may sell for $5 each on average but the same kind and quality of roosters sold in single cages will bring $10-$15 each.

So you get higher prices selling smaller numbers to more people that large numbers to the few people who can pay the starting bid with no one else willing to bid against them. So I would sell ducklings 4-5 to a cage.

Last edited:
Quote:
Really ??? Two months ?? That is ridiculous ! Most birds and especially ducks are not babies anymore at two months. That's bad for their own business with like I said, you can get higher prices with fewer to a cage and higher prices would mean higher commisions for them.

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO! it's crazy! So unfair.
barnie.gif
I'm extremely frustrated!

Back
Top Bottom