Hatching! 23 of 28 so far

Now, I am at 23 chicks! The one that was bent up from last night is fine now. 1 more brahma chick hatched, plus one more yellow one. approx 82% hatch rate so far, of the ones who made it to lockdown. 80% hatch rate of my own fertile eggs, as I had 100% make it to lockdown.

5 eggs left unhatched....2 rir/giant, 3 leghorn/giant. We'll see if there are any more hatched out when I get home tonight. All o the rir/giant eggs that have hatched, hatched very early, so I am not really expecting much out of the other two. Not sure how the other 3 white eggs will do.

This is only my second hatch....the first one had a nasty power outage temp spike in the first three days and did some damage......this hatching has gone just fine. A few short power outages but nothing too major. I run the temp at 101-ish with the thermometer directly in the middle. It usually will go between 100 to 101 cycling. Humidity 40-50 for first 18 days. Bumped up to 65ish on day 18 and 19 and then finally bumped up to upper 70's on 19 and 20. Didn't mean to start a little lower, just had trouble getting the humidity up the first day or so. I had shrink wrapped chicks last time, so wanted it higher this time. Last time I did not keep my hands out of the bator too, so made sure to wait as long as possible this time. so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom