Hatching a cracked egg

How do you like using mineral oil to keep the inner membrane pliable? I've been using coconut oil and like it because it's natural, but have had a few situations where the coconut oil has dried up with the membrane on the hatchling (sometimes interfering with the hatch). It doesn't seem to stay moist for an extended period. :hmm
I've used coconut oil in the past but also noticed that you have to reapply it often. Others on BYC have mentioned using vegetable oil or mineral oil as an alternative. This is my first time using mineral oil...

Although it might not be relevant, I know that when it comes to applying different oils to the human body, coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides which is the key to it being absorbed into the skin rapidly because it can pass through the cell membrane. Mineral oil (being a by-product of petroleum) does not. It allegedly won't clog pores but can help lock in moisture with its anti-evaporative properties... So I figured it could be a good alternative to the coconut oil.

I noticed this evening that the shell membrane was looking dried out again. I went ahead and coated it with more mineral oil. This time little duckling did not squeak although he/she did squirm a little. I honestly thought it would be hatched by now.... Makes me wonder if it is shrink wrapped on the other (non-air-cell) side?

If a duckling (or chick) is squeaking inside the shell, it seems logical that it's breathing air, right? If it were still "swimming" in the albumin, then you wouldn't hear it chirping???

Thoughts?

Edited to add - here's a video of the duckling this evening. I have humidity at 78%. I also added a wet paper towel under the egg to help it stay humid overnight. I don't see any blood vessels around the air cell end of the membrane but when you look down inside the egg, you can still see tiny veins but no big ones. At this point, I'm assuming it is still absorbing yolk & veins so I'm hesitant to assist further. I'll reassess in the morning if it's still alive with no progress. I am a bit concerned about the shrink-wrap because there is a noticeable gap between the outer shell and inner membrane.

Video -

Last edited:
I noticed this evening that the shell membrane was looking dried out again. I went ahead and coated it with more mineral oil. This time little duckling did not squeak although he/she did squirm a little. I honestly thought it would be hatched by now.... Makes me wonder if it is shrink wrapped on the other (non-air-cell) side?

If a duckling (or chick) is squeaking inside the shell, it seems logical that it's breathing air, right? If it were still "swimming" in the albumin, then you wouldn't hear it chirping???

Thoughts?

Edited to add - here's a video of the duckling this evening. I have humidity at 78%. I also added a wet paper towel under the egg to help it stay humid overnight. I don't see any blood vessels around the air cell end of the membrane but when you look down inside the egg, you can still see tiny veins but no big ones. At this point, I'm assuming it is still absorbing yolk & veins so I'm hesitant to assist further. I'll reassess in the morning if it's still alive with no progress. I am a bit concerned about the shrink-wrap because there is a noticeable gap between the outer shell and inner membrane.

Video -
There could be something going on that's preventing the duckling from making more progress...I hope it's nothing serious, but sometimes a late hatcher has a problem like a deformity that makes hatching difficult. Again, that may not be the case at all, but I personally like to be prepared, should I assist and find that there's a deformity, for example.

I haven't heard a duckling that wasn't internally pipped peep, but I can't say that it's impossible. It shouldn't be swimming in any kind of liquid at this point in incubation, either.

Are the veins still big and active? It's hard to tell from the video. Do you already have Pyxis's guide to assisted hatching on hand?

I've used coconut oil in the past but also noticed that you have to reapply it often. Others on BYC have mentioned using vegetable oil or mineral oil as an alternative. This is my first time using mineral oil...

Although it might not be relevant, I know that when it comes to applying different oils to the human body, coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides which is the key to it being absorbed into the skin rapidly because it can pass through the cell membrane. Mineral oil (being a by-product of petroleum) does not. It allegedly won't clog pores but can help lock in moisture with its anti-evaporative properties... So I figured it could be a good alternative to the coconut oil.
Thanks for the info! I generally try to stay away from applying petroleum-based products to skin (our largest organ, right?), but am considering alternatives to coconut oil for assisted hatch purposes. I tried shea butter recently, but it's too solid at room temperature and difficult to apply. I make a skin salve that has coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in it, and may try that in the future. :D

After much drama and nail biting, we have a winner! 😊

20230621_120014.jpg

Not bad considering he made it through this...
20230612_092851.jpg

Back
Top Bottom