Hatching a cracked egg

This chick is the nail polished cracked egg I made the post about, it just hatched...
5mob.PNG

her egg is the one at the bottom of the pic.
I found the crack on about day 5, I kept it because the egg was developing even though it was a good crack. If I had found it on day 0 I would not have set it.

I do not advocate hatching eggs with cracks. If I am setting, I candle, and if I see a crack I do not set. I have noticed that most eggs with a crack will not make it if the crack is there before day 10. After day ten (if dropped for example) the egg has a better chance. Also sometimes if there is a crack but the egg is shipped I may try and hatch.

I did hatch our a duck egg that got cracked by a hen on day 8. I took the egg from the hen, (never trust a hen with a cracked egg.) I put on nail polish, and put the egg in an incubator with hatching eggs. (More moisture.) I kept moving the egg to incubators with hatching eggs, and the duck hatched.

Since I mentioned nail polish, I just wanted to say my opinion nail polish vs. wax. Yes the nail polish is stinky, but chicks in the egg will not smell till quite a bit older, and I don't like the idea of hot wax going into the crack, or on the shell.

On to the egg I currently have...(chicken)
View attachment 3536450
I had set this egg and it is day 5, then I noticed the crack. I put on nail polish. (I could have taken the egg out and tossed it, but it was developing. ) Now I will keep candling this egg and the second it dies, I will toss so it doesn't explode. Just incase it leaks, I am putting it in this paper egg cup with holes.
View attachment 3536460
I have a staggered hatch going, and eggs that more advanced, so this egg will go into lock down with them and get the moisture needed. (I dry hatch. My moisture is at 55% without water.)
I will update this thread, and let you know what happens.
Interesting; thank you for sharing your experience.
Dry hatching? How does it works ā€œ dry hatching ā€œ? The name itself kinda contradicts the core process of hatching in adequate moisture. I would like to learn more about dry hatching.
Here in Hokkaido Japan currently in this hot summer moisture is between 70-80%.
Frequent rains etc.

The third hatching attempt gave these two beautiful baby hens; the cracked one didn't made it as well the other 5 did not.
In all of dead eggs were developed chicks; no idea why did not hatch only these two in perfect condition.
I still have one rooster from the second hatching attempt.
He's 3 weeks older than the two hens.
I keep them separate for safety reasons, but they use to communicate with each other.
Later on I will try to accommodate them together for some time in daylight, but they will sleep in different cages/houses for the night

IMG_0085.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 2
I'm fine for now with these beauties.
Won't hatch for some years till these live/get old and pass away naturally.
I will use a collar for the rooster later on when he's maturing more.
Probably will be challenging in the beginning.
Japan is very strict regarding noise.
As a westerner foreigner, need to respect that.

Back
Top Bottom