Hatching a goose egg under a bantam hen~RESULTS & UPDATES!

Hi, I have a silkie setting on a goose egg right now. I do not know anything about this process and I'm not positive that the egg will even hatch. However if it does hatch and a little gosling arrives what is my next step? how long do you keep the gosling with the hen? will it be okay for the hen to raise the goose? It sounds so silly! I hope someone can help me here. I look forward to any answers. Thanks, April
If a gosling does hatch out I will post pics:) It has only been 5 days so far.
Your gosling will imprint on your silkie and your silkie will look at the gosling as her very own. as long as both are protected from preds and others in the flock that may not appreciate a giant chick amongst them then I'd leave the gosling with it's mama. Look forward to pics.

GREAT! Thank you very much. I can candle the egg between 7 and 11 days correct? I have never done that before either so not quite sure what to look for. But, I would hate to have her be dedicated to a egg that is not going to hatch.

GREAT! Thank you very much. I can candle the egg between 7 and 11 days correct? I have never done that before either so not quite sure what to look for. But, I would hate to have her be dedicated to a egg that is not going to hatch.
You can candle eggs from about 4 days. but something to think about is that a banty will be trying to feed it differently to what it needs. You´´ll have to make sure it gets all the proper food it needs.

Oh this is true!!! good point. Thanks:) AHhhhh...now I have more to think about. Who knew how much stress comes with hatching. LOL

Oh this is true!!! good point. Thanks:) AHhhhh...now I have more to think about. Who knew how much stress comes with hatching. LOL
Do you let your chickens out on grass? if you do the gosling will find it's own greens. Do you have the parents to this goose egg? if so you could give the gosling to them after it hatches.

I sure do! I live in Sharon, VT so I have plenty of land for the chickens to free range. They are only inside at night! I appreciate your feedback very much:) I do not have the parents. I got the egg from my Husbands Grandmothers geese. I have never owned a goose before but when we visit Grams house I love to watch her geese. They are Toulouse Geese. I think they are beautiful!! I'm pretty excited about this and nervous as well!

I sure do! I live in Sharon, VT so I have plenty of land for the chickens to free range. They are only inside at night! I appreciate your feedback very much:) I do not have the parents. I got the egg from my Husbands Grandmothers geese. I have never owned a goose before but when we visit Grams house I love to watch her geese. They are Toulouse Geese. I think they are beautiful!! I'm pretty excited about this and nervous as well!
I'd think about getting your gosling a friend [another gosling] if it hatches, if you plan on keeping it. they do so much better if they have one of their own kind to grow up with. Toulouse are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom