Hatching a wrinkled egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantaclear, May 23, 2011.

1. bantaclear

bantaclear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    High River
    Has anyone had experiance with hatching a wrinkled egg? I have a couple and just wondering if there will be problems with them.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Are they larger or smaller than normal? How wrinkled are they? Sometimes the abnormal eggs can have a shell that is too thick or too thin to support the growing embryo throughout the whole incubation period. If you want to experiment with them, I don't see any problem with that. [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    When I first did my research about incubation, I read that you shouldn't use extra small eggs, or extra large eggs, or long, skinny eggs, and I really think wrinkly eggs would be right there on the list.....I personally wouldn't try to hatch any egg with an irregular shell.

I think the greenfamilyfarms as the right idea....Those eggs could be extra thick, or maybe the wrinkles could make it difficult for the chick to emerge from the shell.......

I wouldn't take a chance....

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Experimentation is great; however, most breeders will not hatch deformed eggs. The thought is the defect would be more pronounced in the next generation. The shell may not have enough calcium content to support the incubating embryo, and thus cause issues later on with bone growth if the chick is able to hatch itself.

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My wrinkled eggs seem to have a very thick shell on them, I dont think they would hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by