Hatching advice please!!!

amibpoe

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
I have 7 duck eggs in the incubator. They are on day 28. Two just pipped. One of those are propped up on a paper towel, that has gotten wet (They all have detached air cells, hence being propped up). I have already had to open a couple times to refill water since I can’t get up consistently past 70% humidity. My question is, do I open and swap the wet paper towel for a dry one or let it go?

the reason you don’t want to open the incubator unnecessarily during hatching, is that the influx of dry air can shrinkwrap pipped/hatching eggs. so basically if the benefit of opening doesn’t outweigh the risks to the other eggs, leave it be......

Take the wet paper towel out, it may chill the duckling since it's in contact with the egg, and if you are having a hard time keeping the humidity high just set a moist sponge or towel in the incubator (not touching the eggs).

I'm a partial freak, and I open the incubator several times during lockdown with no problems:D You'll be fine if the humidity gets back up.

Take the wet paper towel out, it may chill the duckling since it's in contact with the egg, and if you are having a hard time keeping the humidity high just set a moist sponge or towel in the incubator (not touching the eggs).

I'm a partial freak, and I open the incubator several times during lockdown with no problems:D You'll be fine if the humidity gets back up.
Humidity ok at 70? I have a wet sponge in there already.

So my temp is now down to 95. I was so caught up with humidity that I haven’t noticed the temp. When I removed the paper towel I did notice the egg felt cold. How long is too long for this low of a temp? I really don’t have any back up plans.

95 is better than 105. It may delay your hatch at this point a couple hours. In fact, it may be beneficial since the ducklings are working their tails off to get out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom