Hatching advice please!!!

I struggled to get over 70% this year even with all the water troughs full. I had to slightly cover the main vent hole that's not meant to be covered to get 73% but that was only the last 10 hours.

I would rather have lower humidity than no oxygen. I would uncover the vent hole.
It stayed 68% to 70% for the last 3 days it was just the last day while I was at work I went to 73%. I ran higher because last year I had trouble with membrane drying out and sticking to the duck. I also had to help hatch a little so it got opened twice that day so oxygen was no issue. Once they hatched I dropped it down to the mid 60s

I am holding steady at 73%, and technically today is Day 28. I have two that pipped last night (about 12 hours ago) and one that pipped sometime through the night. Vent hole is open all the way.

Ok so this guy pipped about 9pm Sunday night. Has looked like this for at least an hour but I haven’t seen anything else. How long does it take them to zip? It’s currently 12:15 pm Monday afternoon.

Attachments

• 024C7841-4BC1-42A0-A635-501FC077F258.jpeg
    024C7841-4BC1-42A0-A635-501FC077F258.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 2
Zipping can take 48 hours or it can happen in the next 5 minutes. Last Monday evening I came home to 5 external pips. 5 hours later we had one hatched duckling. About noon the next day humon mom assisted with one that was breached. I assisted 3 more between midnight and 3 am Wednesday morning. The only reason we assisted was the breach. Patience is the key.

Zipping can take 48 hours or it can happen in the next 5 minutes. Last Monday evening I came home to 5 external pips. 5 hours later we had one hatched duckling. About noon the next day humon mom assisted with one that was breached. I assisted 3 more between midnight and 3 am Wednesday morning. The only reason we assisted was the breach. Patience is the key.
Definitely the hardest part!

So just to clarify, once they start to zip it can take 48 hrs? Or 48 hrs to start to zip once they have pipped?

Back
Top Bottom