hatching after day 24

Alicewest

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2020
Hi i have a few eggs in the incubator they are wiggling but no pipping its day 24 , its been a late hatch 2 hatched on day 20 , 2 on day 21 and 2 on day 23, i am wondering can you clean the bator and put the eggs back it just smells like but not bad or best to leave it for 24 more hours then candle them on day 25 if they havnt hatched. THey were shipped eggs and some of the air cells were saddled, look forward to your answers. Thank you

I would get them out and candle them now to see what's going on. But try to keep them in the same position as they are in inside the incubator so the chick doesn't get confused and try and turn around again. You many find they have pipped internally. :fl

Until the eggs have externally pipped they won't dry out if you do want to give the incubator a quick clean. Just, again, keep the eggs in the same position they are set in.

It's often a good idea to rotate eggs through different positions in the incubator to even out any cold and hot spots (all incubators do have them). If the egg sits in the same place in the incubator for the duration of incubation then it can speed up or slow down their development depending on what the temperature is in that particular spot. This is generally the cause of a hatch being so spread out as yours has been.

Back
Top Bottom