Hatching an abandoned domestic Mallard possibly Muscovy Egg

Luv Ducks

Free Ranging
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
My Mallard Duck was sitting on 12 eggs. She managed to hatch out six, one was found dead, looked like it may have been trampled. She left the nest with the ducklings. I took the rest of the eggs inside to candle them. There was one that had an internal pip. I put it in a styrofoam cooler with a 40 watt reading lamp clamped on one end and containers of water. I had a cheap therometer in it that said I was at 100 degrees and the humidity would go no higher than 50. I put a safety hole in it since I had no idea when it had done the internal pip. The beak tip got exposed and it would peep. This went on for hours with no advancement. I finally decided to assist after being up almost all night adding water to paper towels and trying my best to get the humidity to stay at least 50. I had a towel draped on only half of it and the rest of the cooler was exposed. It had been over 48 hours and the little one was starting to breathe heavily. I picked away at the shell with my fingers. The membrane was a dark gooey brown. I kept looking inside the egg to make sure the yolk was absorbed. There was no sign of it. After several minutes I got it out. It was quite sticky so I put it under the faucet with warm water and then set it back in the homemade incubator. Now 5 hours later it is up running around and doing just fine. Thank You Lord. I thought driving a School Bus could be nerve racking but it does not compare to assisting this little one into the world for me. I am just happy I made the decision I did because everything was fine on the inside, it just couldn't break the egg. It is a 37 day old hatchling. I have 2 six year old Rouen Hens, one 10 month old Muscovy Duck, one Muscovy drake and one mallard drake. I am thinking it may be a mule due to how long it took to hatch. It was a smaller white egg so I am thinking that the Mother might have been my Muscovy and the drake my Mallard. It looks like a baby mallard but my Mallard hens lay light green eggs. Sorry to ramble on, no sleep but just wanted to share.

Can you post a picture? The gooeyness was caused by too high a humidity. It is very difficult to keep the humidity at the right percent. Glad the little guy survived.
I wish I could but I honestly don't have the technology. I was worried that my humidity was too low and he would become shrink wrapped. It said only 50% on my thermometer but regardless he is doing absolutely fine and is very healthy. Thanks for the kind words.

I wish I could but I honestly don't have the technology. I was worried that my humidity was too low and he would become shrink wrapped. It said only 50% on my thermometer but regardless he is doing absolutely fine and is very healthy. Thanks for the kind words.
I have pictures of it on my FB under my name, Deborah Laughlin if you are on FB. I have no restrictions on my pictures so you can see it there along with my Momma Duck and her five babies if you scroll through my photos.

Not a problem. I only asked in that muscovy ducklings, in their natural coloring, look similar to mallard ducklings.

From google images.
1652614387891.png

Not a problem. I only asked in that muscovy ducklings, in their natural coloring, look similar to mallard ducklings.

From google images.View attachment 3108628
Yes mine has the coloring of the Mallard ducklings but since I have Rouen Hens that are old now in the mix I was not sure which it was. It has black feet and the markings of the mallard duckling but took so long to hatch even under the Momma Mallard duck that had other eggs besides hers under her. I did not think my Muscovy duck had mated with my Mallard drake but he has been trying to mate any of the hens he can catch. Thanks for the picture, I appreciate it.

From google images.View attachment 3108628
My Duckling ended up with its down turning lavender. It's feet are brown and yellow and now its chest is the colored of the Mallard so I am sure it is a mix. I have never had lavender mallard ducklings and my other two that hatched out of my incubator that were the same type of eggs are also turning lavender. They must be Mules or Hinnies it looks like. I just pray for hens! I know one is a drake for sure because it does that dreaded whistle. Thanks for the pictures of the baby Muscovy ducklings.

I am so happy for him and wanted to see if you had an update to share. I’m in a similar predicament in that only one from our clutch appears to be viable after a deer trampled a nest and the mother was forced to abandon it.

I am so happy for him and wanted to see if you had an update to share. I’m in a similar predicament in that only one from our clutch appears to be viable after a deer trampled a nest and the mother was forced to abandon it.
I ended up with two Drakes but got a Hen to go along with them. I had to rehome the drakes, they all three got absolutely huge! My Hen I kept and she is one of my sweetest ducks. She sort of stays with herself and my Mallard that tries to mate her she wants nothing at all to do with. He chases her in the pen and she stays up on something so he will leave her alone. She is a Mule so she does not lay eggs, just a sweet pet. I hope yours turns out well.

Back
Top Bottom