Hatching and raising silkies...so frustrating!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Countrychick8540, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Countrychick8540

Countrychick8540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    I just started hatching silkie eggs in February. My first hatch, 3 out of 7 eggs hatched. The 4 that didn't were total duds. I now have paint and lavender eggs in...and only 2 out of the 7 developed! I payed A LOT for the eggs too. I even made appropriate mods for the 2nd hatch(let the eggs settle longer, didn't have the auto turn on for a few days)

Anyway the 3 chicks that hatched the first time, one died last week, and one died today, so now i'm down to just one white chick that I hatched(and another one I bought)! No explanation for their deaths either...

I feel so defeated and down about my hatching. I know it's tricky to hatch silkies, especially from shipped eggs. I'm going to do one more hatch in a week after my 2 hatch(hopefully!!![​IMG]), then I am done for a while. It really takes a toll on you!

Anyone else feel this way or had similar experiences?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    It took me 3 trys to hatch some and they were my own eggs I got 4 out of 6/ another batch in now hoping for more this time/ I only have 1 silkie hen right now.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have a hen sitting on some shipped Silkie eggs(from a BYC'er). I am REALLY hoping they do well because they're for my little niece and should hatch just before her 4th birthday =).

Where are you located? These are Splash eggs but I am only planning to keep a trio so will Hopefully have extras.

ETA: My first batch of shipped eggs of the year(wyandottes) didn't even develop so i know how you feel, I was TOTALLY bummed!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    did you say splash oh yea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by