Hatching at different intervals

sandychicks

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
CENTRAL TEXAS
Hi there,
This is our first hatch.
We had one broody mom, 5 chicks born 4 survived the 5 ft rat snake and 10 eggs left, one egg was a dud. So now we have 9 minus 2 born today.
The first 4 survivors are now 2 weeks old and we have the 2 born today. Needless to say we didn't have a way to keep the whole neighborhood from laying eggs under mama. She is an awesome mom and is living inside until we snake proof the coop and is spoiled now.

So the question, how are we to care for these other babies and how long are we to wait for these other eggs? Our tiny little homemade incubator is working but I want the mama hen to take them on soon along with the others that will be born.
Help...

Your hen will probably not take anymore chicks unless she's one of those very good mothers. You will need to brood them yourself. Eggs take 20-21 days to hatch. If they don't hatch by day 22-23 than they won't.

Hi there,
This is our first hatch.
We had one broody mom, 5 chicks born 4 survived the 5 ft rat snake and 10 eggs left, one egg was a dud. So now we have 9 minus 2 born today.
The first 4 survivors are now 2 weeks old and we have the 2 born today. Needless to say we didn't have a way to keep the whole neighborhood from laying eggs under mama. She is an awesome mom and is living inside until we snake proof the coop and is spoiled now.

So the question, how are we to care for these other babies and how long are we to wait for these other eggs? Our tiny little homemade incubator is working but I want the mama hen to take them on soon along with the others that will be born.
Help...
Maybe next time mark the eggs you give her, and remove any extras that get laid in her nest from day to day.

I know what to do going forward but any advice for now? Still have 2 eggs that have 1 - 2 wks and 3 that are 2 wks out for sure, 1 that is a maybe.

You have to incubate them. Once most hens come off of the nest they won't accept anymore chicks ( some hens don't care and will raise anything you give them). So you'll likely have to raise them by hand.

I agree with OHLD - the mama likely won't accept any more, now that she thinks hers have all hatched. You'll probably have to brood them separately. I'd probably candle them to get an estimate of how far they are, and keep an eye on them. After a couple of weeks, I'd candle again to see if there are any signs of life and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom