Hatching Basics Please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cats Critters, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive 10 Years

Ok I just got an old incubator from my neighbor I know some basics from the site and a hatch we did in 6th grade here is what I know ( correct me if I am wrong)
    The Tep. is something like 99 F
    you turn an odd number of times per day
    and stop turning on day 18
    It takes About 21 for chicken eggs to hatch
    and things I need to know about
    humidity
    and anything else you can think of.

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Crowing

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:The temp. also depends if it is a forced air or a still air. Still airs run normally between 100.5 to 102. Forced airs should be between 99.5-100. If you don't have an automatic turner you can turn them 3-5 times per day, you can put an X and an O on each side so you know what side to turn next. Humidity for the first 18 days should be around 40%-50%, you stop turning and raise humidity on day 18, the last 3 days. The humidity for the last 3 days should be around 70%-90%, more around 75% and don't let it go over 90%. And if everything goes okay they should hatch on day 21, give or take a day. On day 18 when you stop turning/add humidity, that should be the last time you candle them. And remeber DON'T OPEN THE INCUBATOR the last 3 days. Humidity and the temp. are so important then. Even if chicks hatch it's okay for them to stay in there for 24 hours. Good luck!

3. CindyS

CindyS Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I would like to add the importance of a good thermometer you can trust! Get one and make sure its accurate before you set your eggs!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Crowing

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Very true! I have 3 thermometers in my incubator to make sure the tempurature is correct, I also have 3 hydrometers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: