HATCHING BOBWHITES

quailwisperer

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Chandler tx
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY HATCH! AT LEAST I THINK I AM, I HAVE 55 BOBWHITE EGGS THAT WERE DUE TO HATCH YESTERDAY BUT DIDNT LOTS OF THE EGGS HAVE LITTLE CHIPS IN THE SHELLS BUT TODAYS IS DAY 24 AND NON HAVE HATCHED! DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?

Don't do anything. Just wait it out, it can take up to 30 hours from pip to hatch.

There are a lot of factors that can cause chicks to pip but not hatch, such as low humidity or a damaged air sac.

Why don't you start by telling us what type of incubator you are using and what temperature and humidity you kept it set at for both incubation and lockdown?

Ok I have a farm innovators circulating air incubator and have had humidity at around 50 until I took them out of turner 4 days ago then raised to 70-75% heat @ 100! I got up this morning to find two chicks hatched on day 25! Is this common? I have counted the days several times thinking I was wrong but I'm not! Hopefully the rest will hatch the shells seam extreamly hard for some reason but we will ser

Late hatches are not uncommon. Especially if you temperature was low.

Check the temperature using 3 thermometers to ensure that the one you are going off of is accurate. Do not open the door for 12-24 hours to remove chicks if you can avoid it. If you open the door every egg that is pipped already will get shrink wrapped.

Last edited:
I've had batches of 300+ eggs where on day 22 eighty or so hatch then the next day another couple dozen then two days later the rest. Hatching about. 85% and always keep them in several days after their scheduled hatch.

Thanks this info is helpful! I'm on day 26 and there still hatching first ones hatched three days ago! I was starting to worry but I feel better bout it now! Thanks for the help

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

Back
Top Bottom