Hatching broken eggs? What about actual hatch??

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
I have an Indian Runner egg I dented & cracked several days ago, so used Elmer's Glue. I'm amazed, but he's continued to grow like a weed and is still kickin'! Due to hatch in 10 days. Should I anticipate needing to do anything different for this one's hatch? Or just go about it like he's not glued back together?

If the repaired part of the egg is not in the area where the chick (duckling) will need to pip through you should be ok and should not assist. If the crack stretches over the area it will need to crack (pip) you might need to watch that area and POSSIBLY assist the duckling pipping through that part of the egg shell. As a general rule, helping embryos hatch is not a good idea, but I have had to help with more expensive chicks like Umbrella cockatoos because sometimes they just have zero chance of getting out on their own. For me and my chickens, I let nature COMPLETELY rule the roost. If the chick can't get out on its own, I consider it slightly inferior to the way nature intended and I will not want it in my breeding population anyway. Only the fittest make my breeding pens.....

Mine aren't for breeding per se, just for pets. This little duck is fine as far as I know, nature's not the one who cracked the egg
wink.png
The dent & cracks are at the end of the air sac. The glue layer is thin, soo hopefully it won't affect PIP. Perhaps I should put the error fce down for lockdown? It seems PIP happens on the side and up of the fat end usully?

I agree with Bentley. I have hatched 3 chicks that had cracked shells. I did not glue, I just just scotch tape. I did not have to help mine.

Quote:
The first pip of an egg will be internal and into the airsac and this is the first instance of pulmonary respiration the chick gets, the air from the air cell of the egg. So, yes, pipping will happen on the blunt end of the egg as after that internal pip the chick (duckling) will then make an external pip and that is the one you can see. It won't really matter how you position the egg, the hatching position of the chick is basically fixed by the embryo by the time it makes that first internal pip so changing the orientation of the egg in that last day will not matter. Good luck and hope the little guy gets out OK.

I have had cracked eggs. I have used scotch tape and liquid band-aid and they hatched out fine. Some people use wax too.

Back
Top Bottom