Hatching Button Quail Questions Please Help

mrsfluff100

Songster
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
So I bought two button quail about a month ago and they have been living in a 20 gallon long tank with a reptile/mulch substrate with some fake plants. There is a red breasted Male and a silver Female. The lady we got them from sold them as a breeding pair.
About 5 days ago the female started laying eggs I let her lay 4 then I pulled them from her and stuck them in an incubator. Its now the second day of incubation and i have been turning them as much as possible maybe 6 times a day. So now for the questions.
woot.gif
#1.How likely is it that they are fertile?
#2.How likely is it that they will hatch and live?
#3.What colors might the chicks be?
#4.When can I candle them and how do you suggest I do so?
#5.Let me know anything else you think is important!!?
So thanks o much and cant war to hear back!

So I bought two button quail about a month ago and they have been living in a 20 gallon long tank with a reptile/mulch substrate with some fake plants. There is a red breasted Male and a silver Female. The lady we got them from sold them as a breeding pair.
About 5 days ago the female started laying eggs I let her lay 4 then I pulled them from her and stuck them in an incubator. Its now the second day of incubation and i have been turning them as much as possible maybe 6 times a day. So now for the questions.
woot.gif
#1.How likely is it that they are fertile? it depends on the pair
#2.How likely is it that they will hatch and live? you never know, but a good chance if fertile
#3.What colors might the chicks be? these birds are not bred for color lines most of the time so any colors
#4.When can I candle them and how do you suggest I do so? Let nature takes it course, I don't suggest candling
#5.Let me know anything else you think is important!!? have the brooder up and ready on day 16. turn until day 13 then leave them be and raise the humidity to 60%+ but no more then 75% or the chicks can drown in the shell also open the vents on the incubator all the way then so the chicks get good fresh air you might have to adjust your thermostat to keep the temp up. be sure to put them into the brooder as soon as they dry the chicks need food and water within a few hours of hatching. good luck.
So thanks o much and cant war to hear back!

Back
Top Bottom