Hatching chickens - what to do with the roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by e.marie, Apr 8, 2009.

1. e.marie

e.marie New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    I want to start raising a few chickens for eggs and I'm wondering what do to with the male chicks? Since live chickens don't ship through the mail - I will be ordering some fertilized eggs. This will be my first experience with chickens and I don't think I'm ready for a rooster yet.

2. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Some years ago, I ordered a huge number of mixed chicks. Being on the farm, then, it was easy to make a decision concerning the extra roosters. I let nature take over and let the roosters fight it out. From those outcomes, I picked the #1 rooster, who then let me know who was in line next, etc. Those that were simply pushed out of the flock, were marked for butcher. I just used blue food coloring on the back.

It happened that I met this lady with 6 small children, who was an old timer with chickens. When the day came, she came over to my place, we pulled out the culls, butchered them and split the take.

She didn't have any chickens and her family were very poor, so she also went home with one hen and one rooster alive, so this turned out to be a back scratching scene (us helping each other) and all were happy with the results.

You might try snooping around to see who might need the food or who might really desire your extra roosters. You never know.

Otherwise, I'd go ahead and advertise the future roosters. Folks will wait. [​IMG]

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I've never had rooster- I bought my chicks straight from the shop (walked four hours there and back)

I am considering hatching some eggs, and if there are roosters I suppose I'd either sell them to a shop or give them away. I couldn't bare killing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by