hatching chickens

shaaki

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
london
hi i have three hens only and no rooster, is it possible to hatch their eggs in incubator? or the eggs are not fertile ,
because in my council roosters are not allowed by law, i think they make noise in the morning,
and i work in a restuarant can i feed them the left over food from there? that is most of rice and vegetable, and fish etc.

hi thanks for the reply, i want to ask what kind of chickens do i have please see the pictures,
are they Orpingtion?

Last edited:
I had to remove 2 day old chicks from mom, Waddles so she would continue to sit on the rest of her eggs. One week later I tried to put them all back together and Waddles keeps pecking them. I reseperated them. How do I get them back together again?
hit.gif

Shaaki, if you hatch eggs, you are going to get some roosters. Do you have a plan for that? Obviously your eggs won’t be fertile, but just in case you consider getting fertile eggs. I suspect those are some type of red sex link hens, a cross instead of a specific breed. You should like them.

Chatty Kathy, you probably can’t if that is vicious pecking. Some hens will adopt chicks about any age, but most imprint on their chicks after hatch. With most you can introduce young chicks and they will adopt them, but the older the chicks get the less likely that is. Part of that is the hen rejecting the chicks, part is the chicks not accepting the hen as their mother. They imprint too.

I don’t know how vicious that pecking was. It’s possible instead of the hen trying to kill them or run them away, she was trying to get them to listen to her and accept her orders. It’s hard to know exactly what is going on over the internet. I don’t know if the problem is the hen or the chicks or whether it would work out.

Sticking them under the hen at night is usually the best but I’ve had some that I gave the chicks in the middle of the day and they immediately take them over. Those chicks were fresh out of the incubator and the same age as her chicks. At the age yours are, I'd be really nervous about trying that.

They are living animals and not always consistent.

I had to remove 2 day old chicks from mom, Waddles so she would continue to sit on the rest of her eggs. One week later I tried to put them all back together and Waddles keeps pecking them. I reseperated them. How do I get them back together again?
hit.gif
If they've been away from momma for a week, she's just not going to take them, like as not. You can try putting them under her at night, but you'll need to keep a close eye on them in the am or you may have dead chicks. You could just plan to brood them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom