Hatching chicks and ducklings together?

randerson846

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
I went to my friend today and he gave me 18 fertile hen eggs, and he gave me 3 fertile duck eggs as well and I don't want them to go to waste, as I also wanted to hatch them so what do I do, can I hatch them together or what.
(I have a sixty egg incubator so space isn't a problem) Help!

Can u explain to me what to do as no one has told me how to do it

Hi! I am no expert at this but I just hatched a batch of chicks and ducklings. The duck eggs take about 28 days to hatch while a chick only takes 21 days. I started my duck eggs a week before I added my chicken eggs because their lockdown period needs to begin at the same time to prevent humidity loss and shrink wrapping.

But what about the 18 chicken eggs and I also had another 29 I got online :/ I don't want to wait and then them all die

You can start them at the same time. The only difference is that you will also need to stop turning your duck eggs on day 18. I don't know if that can cause any trouble for the duckling or not if you don't turn until day 24. You don't want to risk opening your incubator while your chicks are hatching to turn the eggs because the chicks may not hatch if the humidity gets lowered.

Hi! I am no expert at this but I just hatched a batch of chicks and ducklings.  The duck eggs take about 28 days to hatch while a chick only takes 21 days.  I started my duck eggs a week before I added my chicken eggs because their lockdown period needs to begin at the same time to prevent humidity loss and shrink wrapping.

Agree

You should not put them all in at the same time because ducks take longer they need to go In First, store the chicken eggs in a cool place until it's there time. If you put the ducks in with the chickens what will happen is the chickens will go into lockdown and the ducks well they will get sticky and never make it out.

You have to plan your days, figure out how many days you need in order for both the chickens and the ducks to hatch. Depending on your ducks to you will need to know how many days they take. Some ducks take 26 like calls where Muscovy take 35. If you put them all in at the same time then when It's time to lock down the chicken whichs means stop turning them and raise the humidity the ducks are going to be stuck with this for however many days are left, chances are they will not make it, they will get to much humidity and get very sticky..

So you need to figure out the day for both to hatch at the same time. The ducks will need to go in first for probably about a week or so then add the chickens. So they all have the same due date..

IF You put them all in the bator at the same time without giving the ducks the lead way, then you best better get another bator.. Use this bator for lockdown..

Last edited:
You have to plan your days, figure out how many days you need in order for both the chickens and the ducks to hatch. Depending on your ducks to you will need to know how many days they take. Some ducks take 26 like calls where Muscovy take 35. If you put them all in at the same time then when It's time to lock down the chicken whichs means stop turning them and raise the humidity the ducks are going to be stuck with this for however many days are left, chances are they will not make it, they will get to much humidity and get very sticky..

So you need to figure out the day for both to hatch at the same time. The ducks will need to go in first for probably about a week or so then add the chickens. So they all have the same due date..

IF You put them all in the bator at the same time without giving the ducks the lead way, then you best better get another bator.. Use this bator for lockdown..

So do I just keep the chicks out of the incubator until the ducks are on day 7 and then add the chicks. Ok I understand that what about humidity do ducks not need more??

So do I just keep the chicks out of the incubator until the ducks are on day 7 and then add the chicks. Ok I understand that what about humidity do ducks not need more??

NO, from day 1 to three days before due date keep the ducks humidity around 50 to 55 same with chickens. You just need to time it perfectly so they all get lockdown at the same time

Back
Top Bottom