Hatching chicks naturally with other critters around, is this safe?

Smol chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Ok, hi! So, we have three chickens, two rabbits and two Guinea pigs all living I harmony in a HUGE enclosure outside (my mom won’t let me keep them inside...😞), but, our oldest hen has now become... fertile(?) and out rooster has now mated with her, we have one fertile egg (she’s a silkie, so her egg production rates are really low, as they weren’t bred for egg-laying), I have decided to let her sit on it as it’s her first egg to be hatched, but, now I’m concerned, will the chick be ok with the other critters living around them, or do we HAVE to move them to a separate area, I’m asking because it wouldn’t be ideal to do so, because we dont have any other space for them available, thanks!
1B984103-D11A-446C-9058-7061FE6D1B60.jpeg

Here they are in their previous, way smaller, enclosure...

Well, you probably should try to get more eggs for her to sit on. Do you have another hen? How long has the silkie been laying eggs?

Well, you probably should try to get more eggs for her to sit on. Do you have another hen? How long has the silkie been laying eggs?
Well, this silkie has been laying eggs for about three months now, and, yes, we do have another hen, but she hasn’t started laying any eggs yet.

Well, this silkie has been laying eggs for about three months now, and, yes, we do have another hen, but she hasn’t started laying any eggs yet.
I would store the eggs until you have at least a few, or let her build a clutch. Can you section off part of the pen with something?

I would store the eggs until you have at least a few, or let her build a clutch. Can you section off part of the pen with something?
I have around fourteen eggs that she has laid up until now, and we have a large dog kennel with hay inside and on top of it just for her and the other chickens, nothing else goes in there, is this adequate, or must I still fence off a section?

I have around fourteen eggs that she has laid up until now, and we have a large dog kennel with hay inside and on top of it just for her and the other chickens, nothing else goes in there, is this adequate, or must I still fence off a section?
Well, I would worry about the other hen getting in there. You can make a little "coop" anything that's similar to a nest box, even a cardboard box could work. I would just use a board or amything to block off a small section with. The hen may lay a few more eggs and then sit.

Well, I would worry about the other hen getting in there. You can make a little "coop" anything that's similar to a nest box, even a cardboard box could work. I would just use a board or amything to block off a small section with. The hen may lay a few more eggs and then sit.
Ok, thanks! Will definitely do so!

Ok, hi! So, we have three chickens, two rabbits and two Guinea pigs all living I harmony in a HUGE enclosure outside (my mom won’t let me keep them inside...😞), but, our oldest hen has now become... fertile(?) and out rooster has now mated with her, we have one fertile egg (she’s a silkie, so her egg production rates are really low, as they weren’t bred for egg-laying), I have decided to let her sit on it as it’s her first egg to be hatched, but, now I’m concerned, will the chick be ok with the other critters living around them, or do we HAVE to move them to a separate area, I’m asking because it wouldn’t be ideal to do so, because we dont have any other space for them available, thanks!View attachment 2065211
Here they are in their previous, way smaller, enclosure...
Hi guys, it’s me again, and... THE CHICK HATCHED!!! Thank you guys for all your advice, I really appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom