Hatching Chicks With A Heat Pad And A Egg Carton Experiment

Pics
:jumpy :jumpy This thread is a blessing for me, I've got eggs in different stages of incubation, 3 eggs under a broody due to hatch on the 8th, 5 under another due to hatch around the 17th, and then I've got two incubator's loaded and not due to the 17th and 22nd.. but I pulled out from under one of my broody with 3 eggs now a live egg that is not as far a long in the process as her other ones, but to far along to give to the second broody. I was wondering what I might do come lock down, I am thinking on the 10th or 11th and this would be perfect, otherwise I am looking at leaving it in the incubator it's currently in and risking the chick getting hurt as I can't stop the auto turn because of the other 21 eggs in there. I'll follow this and see if the egg is still viable and what happens.

Day 15 (chicken incubation, 13 days)- Everything has been going fine, I feel like I have discovered all the kinks. Basically turn up the heat before I go to sleep, get up at 6 pm and turn down the heat and rotate the eggs, only place the eggs in the middle, keep a folded towel on top of it, refill the eggshells every 1 pm when I rotate them again, lower the heat again if needed, rotate them at 9 pm and raise the heat. Repeat.
Also, I have managed to get a picture of one of the eggs, sadly it is not that good, but still, a picture. It was wiggling so it was tricky. Meet egg #1.
Photo on 4-3-20 at 2.20 PM #2.jpg

Day 15 (chicken incubation, 13 days)- Everything has been going fine, I feel like I have discovered all the kinks. Basically turn up the heat before I go to sleep, get up at 6 pm and turn down the heat and rotate the eggs, only place the eggs in the middle, keep a folded towel on top of it, refill the eggshells every 1 pm when I rotate them again, lower the heat again if needed, rotate them at 9 pm and raise the heat. Repeat.
Also, I have managed to get a picture of one of the eggs, sadly it is not that good, but still, a picture. It was wiggling so it was tricky. Meet egg #1.
View attachment 2074983
Six more days on countdown. Good luck! ❤

Day 16 (chicken incubation, 14 days)- I have forgot to tells you guys, sorry for that. But I have added a sebright egg in the back of the carton to see if I could also incubate there to, and the egg is alive and vital so far! The father is either a sebright or a silver duckwing. I put it there on March 29. The eggs will hatch in one more week! (besides the sebright).
Also I just though about something, an awesome thing about using egg cartons, it is a incubator that could be used once and then used a fertilizer and can be easily replaced.

Day 16 (chicken incubation, 14 days)- I have forgot to tells you guys, sorry for that. But I have added a sebright egg in the back of the carton to see if I could also incubate there to, and the egg is alive and vital so far! The father is either a sebright or a silver duckwing. I put it there on March 29. The eggs will hatch in one more week! (besides the sebright).
Also I just though about something, an awesome thing about using egg cartons, it is a incubator that could be used once and then used a fertilizer and can be easily replaced.
When the cardboard cartons get too messed up to use - I then use it as a seedling tray. When the plants are large enough to transplant, I tear each "cup" off, make a hole in the bottom for the roots, and then plant the entire thing. The plants grow fine, the cardboard "composts" and all is well. (I have even taken unviable eggs for whatever reason - and planted those below the plant roots - instant fertilizer.)

When the cardboard cartons get too messed up to use - I then use it as a seedling tray. When the plants are large enough to transplant, I tear each "cup" off, make a hole in the bottom for the roots, and then plant the entire thing. The plants grow fine, the cardboard "composts" and all is well. (I have even taken unviable eggs for whatever reason - and planted those below the plant roots - instant fertilizer.)
Nice

Day 17 (chicken incubation, 15 days)- Great news! The three eggs are still alive! #1, which was the size of my pinky finger, has now taken up all the space in the egg! #2, which was the size of half my pinky finger (possibly a runt), in now the size of two of my fingers curled. #3, the sebright, has now developed a beating heart, that means hopefully, that my male sebright is furtle, if not, then it is a silver duck-wing mix and I can then name it Falcon Jr. Give a shout to the eggs! :woot So far a 100% no fatality rate, let's hope it stays that way. :fl (6 more days till hatch day!)
:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom