Hatching Chicks

krbowman56

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 7, 2013
HELP. We are hatching eggs in my classroom using a incubator from Tractor Supply. The temperature has stayed consistent at 100 degrees. The eggs are scheduled to hatch on October 4th (21 days). We are keeping water in the water supply as instructed. Today when I came in the class the eggs were stinking really bag. What is wrong? Is this normal? Please help.

No I'm afraid it's not normal. You have a bad egg the incubator that's what will be causing the smell. I would have a look in and try to identify which are bad and remove them. Sometimes bad eggs can explode in the incubator therefore contaminating other eggs which could jeopardise your hatch.

Eggs should not stink. Did you candle them to see if they were fertile and developing properly? More than likely you have some dead embryos that are fouling up the incubator. You need to identify those eggs and get them out before they explode and potentially contaminate the good eggs

Our eggs will be in the incubator 21 days Saturday evening.. Should we be seeing our eggs moving?

Yes sometimes you can see movement from the eggs and hear peeping from them when the chicks have pipped into the air cell. If you don't see any thing though by day 21 don't panic, 21 is just a guideline some hatch a little later. Good luck. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
This is a good read for all you need to know about incubating and hatching

Last edited:
Sunday was day 21 for our eggs in the incubator. One of the chicks hatched Saturday morning. I know the incubator is on lockdown but how long can the new chick stay in the incubator with no food or water?

Congratulations on your hatched chick :cd
They can survive after hatching for up to 72 hours without food and water. I usually wait for 48 hours before transferring hatched chicks into the brooder. I just do it quickly if I have any u hatched left.

Back
Top Bottom