Hatching Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenGirl18, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Hey everyone! This spring I will be starting to hatch baby chicks. I had silkie chickens last spring, but sadly a predator got into the coop and ate most of them [​IMG]. So, I'll be off to a fresh start in the spring. If you guys have some favorite chickens breeds that are great layers, cold hardy, and friendly it would be great if you could answer below. Anyway, I'm looking for good incubator brand so, if you could also put that below! Thank you guys so much![​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you joined the flock. Sorry to hear you lost your silkies to a predator. I know just how it feels as I too had an attack. Great to hear your going to have a go at incubating eggs, it's such an exciting thing to do but be warned its also very addictive.
    I would highly recommend a Brinsea incubator although they are more expensive they are well worth it. They also have quite a few to chose from depending on your incubation requirements. Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone friendly and here to help :frow

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Sorry for your losses to a predator. [​IMG]It is never easy to lose them. Lots of good breeds out there that are hardy, friendly and are great layers. I am partial to the Orpingtons, (Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps) Very docile, friendly, excellent layer and are very climate hardy. Just hardy in general. Wyandottes, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, etc...My Orps are huge on lap sitting. Can't sit anywhere without a chicken on my lap! My Black Aussies are 3 1/2 years old and are still going strong on the laying. Stop by this website. Lots of quick info on the different breeds.... http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

I have had great luck with Hovabators and R-Com incubators. Stop by this thread from some of our members on the incubator reviews for some idea...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/88674/best-incubators-review-your-favorite

Good luck with your hatching adventures! If you run into any issues along the way, you know where we are!

Welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good answers and suggestions above. X2 on the Brinsea incubators and the Hovabators if you are looking for a styrafoam one.
    Most of the heavy brown eggs layers are pretty cold hardy and friendly, some popular ones are Black Australorps, Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Sussex, Delaware and Wyandottes and don't forget Easter Eggers if you want green/blue eggs.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses.[​IMG]

There are many chicken breeds that would meet your criteria. However, I would personally recommend the Wyandotte. My Wyandottes have been docile birds that lay 300+ brown eggs a year. Wyandottes are also cold hardy, since they have small rose combs and heavy feathering, and they come in several beautiful color varieties.

Other breeds that I would suggest include: Australorps, Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, and Sex-links. I would check out the breeds section to see what other members think of certain breeds: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

Good luck getting some chickens next spring!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Sorry about your loss, but glad you are gonna start again. I have barred rocks and buff orps and love them all. So glad you decided to join us.

7. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you guys so much for responding so quickly! BantamLover21, I've heard so many great things about the Wyandottes!! Also, thank you for the recommendations on all the chickens! I will be reading all them! [​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your Silkies to a predator. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. I would recommend Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy. I've raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once), and in both climate extremes, they came through like troopers. They are also very calm and gentle. My children, and now my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. And they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

9. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you so much! Are Black Australorps very common? I've never heard of them.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The best breeds for are buff orpingtons, black australorps, EEs and sussex. Buff orps are my favorite. (That is breed in that picture!) They are very sweet, affectionate, calm and docile. They lay large brown eggs daily and are very cold hardy. Australorps are basically the same as orpingtons although they tend to be better layers. EEs, (easter eggers) are more independent and lively. They are still friendly and cold hardy. Sussex chickens are SUPER curious! They love to investigate EVERYTHING! If tamed while young, they are friendly. They are also good layers and cold hardy.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by