Hatching Chukar

sonjab314

Constant State of Confusion
13 Years
May 15, 2010
Missouri
I just purchased chukar eggs and received them in the mail. I read that shipped eggs have low hatch rate...ok. I cant find much info on the incubating/hatching process. I assume they are like quail but incubate a little longer? When do I stop turning them and go into lockdown?

Never hatched chuckers before but have hatched 100's of other partridge species. A lot of partridge species have low fertility rates! :confused: Shipping is hard on eggs and the hatch rate will be low, usually, I have had very high hatch rates on shipped eggs but that's far and few between.
Incubation time is 23 to 24 days. I incubate at 100°F and 45% RH, at day 21 you can either leave them in the incubator with the turner turned off or move them to a hatcher if you have one. At that time raise the humidity to 60 - 65%RH.
Hope you have a good hatch! :jumpy

Ordered 100 chukar eggs early spring.
Had an excellent hatch for shipped eggs. Got 86 out of 100.

I agree with everything @007Sean said.

Only thing I might add is after I placed them in the incubator I didn't start Turner til day 3.

Good luck on your hatch.
Wow, that was an excellent hatch rate for shipped eggs but at the same time it was also due to a high fertility rate, which I consider more important than my hatch rate. Hatch rate means nothing if the eggs aren't fertile to begin with....your not going to hatch any chicks.

trying my hand with Chukar eggs as well got 30 of them have been reading the info you all have posted my eggs came for here in Idaho and had a very short shipping time shipped one day here the next so hopping for a good hatch. and This is my first time on chukars. just now having Coturnix and Texas A&M Quails. I also have Hungarian partridge, and California quail eggs coming in as well. those will be here next month.

Back
Top Bottom