Hatching day questions

Ssuermann

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
I am not new to hatching in an incubator. Did it for years with our kids in a basic incubator with not temp gage or humidity indicator just a thermometer and a guess on how much water to add. Now I have a new digital incubator with all bells and whistles and I’ve stressed the whole time. So my question is, it’s hatching day and the incubator instructions say to keep the humidity from 65 to 75%. It’s been steady at 73% the whole three days except this morning it spiked to 80%. It was probably only for about an hour at that humidity. I got it down to 73% and I see that one of my eggs is cracked. I am worried because the is no pip hole its just cracked in the center vertically. Is this ok? I’m afraid that spike ruined all the hard work. Help.

That won't have hurt anything :) The increase was actually most likely because of the pipped egg - as eggs pip, they release moisture into the incubator, increasing humidity.

65% is fine, for the future - you don't really need to go higher than that. But where you have it now won't hurt anything, either.

So I have been watching and there is now another vertical crack in the eggs almost right next to the other one. I’m hoping that this little pheasant is hatching. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom