Hatching Disaster

Raisingmsdaisy

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
NoCo Colorado
I recently placed a dozen of my barnyard mix chicks and 6 I purchased from a seller into my Hovabator. I bought a hygrometer to keep tabs on the temp and humidity, which I monitored frequently throughout the day and night and made adjustment to regularly.
I had an automatic egg turner and my bator is circulated air.
I kept the bator at between 99.5 and 100.5 and the humidity between 45-55% the first 18 days.

The candling at Day 14 showed only one of my 6 purchased eggs had developed, so I removed them. I found that 10 of my barnyard mix eggs were developing nicely so I removed the other undeveloped eggs and left the rest.

At lickdown, I made the mistake of increasing the humidity to 85% thinking that was correct, only to re-read two days later that it should not have exceeded 65%. I corrected it immediately, but Iit was too late.

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

I was heartsick to see only 2 of my barnyard eggs hatch. The rest died, fully formed inside their eggs. I just wanted to cry. 8 perfect babies gone.

i wanted to post a picture of my "eggtopsy" because I wanted some experienced advice as to what happened and see if by the photos, you can advise me if this is the culprit.

I know that during the incubation there were times when the temps dropped or spiked due to temps in the house, but I don't think it affected too much because they were fully formed. I have to deduce that they drowned in the last 3 days.

I'm so sad.

I can almost guarantee they didn't die because of you lockdown humidity. Many of us use 75% and it goes to 85 or greater. Lockdown humidity doesn't damage eggs. However the 45-55% during the first 17 days has a high probability of being the culprit as humidity that high causes high occurances of drowning at hatch time because the egg can not loose enough moisture. I'll give you a humidity link you might find useful. Sorry to hear about the losses.
http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Thank you for your the link AmyLynn. I will be studying up on this. I just felt so bad when just days ago they were active and viable. Then bam
1f4a5.png
all gone.

Well, becareful what you write. I keep my humidty at 45 percent for the first 18 days, then up to 65 percent and get 80 percent and up hatch rates. It all depends what are you live in. I live in Canads and it is still cold. If i did dry hstch, I would have a humidty of 16 percent with not good results. I think your humidy was way too high at the end and the temp fluctuations didn't help either.

Best of luck next time.

Last edited:
Well, becareful what you write. I keep my humidty at 45 percent for the first 18 days, then up to 65 percent and get 80 percent and up hatch rates. It all depends what are you live in. I live in Canads and it is still cold. If i did dry hstch, I would have a humidty of 16 percent with not good results. I think your humidy was way too high at the end and the temp fluctuations didn't help either.

Best of luck next time.

But you aren't having dead chicks in the shell fully formed dying after lockdown and she is. Which does, the majority of the time, point to high humidity during the first 17 days. Humidity at hatch does not compromise the hatch unless it is too low. It will NOT cause chicks to drown in their shells. And yes, my humidity is only 16% right now if I were to run dry. I don't recal telling her to run dry. I gave her the resources to find a good humidity level for herself. I run low humidity 30% for standard eggs, raise to 75% and usually run 85-100% hatches. Only had 100% once so far, but still...

HELP PLEASE!!!! Chick has top shell off but still in egg and I can see membrane is dried around it. Not sure if I should help it's been almost 24 hours and need to know if it's safe to remove dried membrane. So scared of hurting chick.

Back
Top Bottom