Hatching Double Yolk Eggs!!!???

So what happened with the double yolks? I set eggs 3 days ago and one seems to be a double, but not sure yet.

I just set a super giant egg from one of my sexlinks. I'll candle on Wed when I candle for lockdown for the eggs that I had in there already.
I'll try to keep posting.

I think my double yolk only has one chick. Is that even possible? I am on day 13 and the yolk that looked fertile is full of life and the bottom of the egg still seems to be unfertile. I don't know, guess I'll just wait and see.

I gave up. My incubation situation is less than ideal; I lost all the eggs I already had in the 'bator. =(
I'm getting a proper incubator next month, so I'll be ready to go for an October hatch. =)

Yes, it sounds like your top yolk is fertilized and the bottom one is "a clear". I'm not looking at it, but that's what it sounds like based on what you said. Yes, that's possible. It's also possible that the bottom yolk was an early quitter.

You might have to assist in the hatch; the chick normally depends upon pushing against one part of the shell to get out of the other part, but it won't be able to reach the bottom to push off the top of the egg in a double sized egg (and with no twin to push off of either).
I do hope that all goes well with your hatch. I'll stay subscribed to find out.

When do you expect it to hatch?

I really want to know what happens! keep us posted!
wee.gif

Well, It's gonna have to be over with me for a while :( My heart is drained.
This was my 2nd hatch (1st was ducks). My double yolker I'm guessing died about a week ago. Did an eggtopsy today and one chick. We went to lockdown on Monday . I candled everyone and the double's shell was so dark I just couldn't tell if I saw movement or not. The bottom of the egg was almost clear, just kind of a shadow. (That's how it's been) The dark shelled eggs I water tested except the double because it had a thinning around the middle and I wasn't taking chances. All, but 2 were good and the double, unknown. They started chirping Monday night and by Wednesday morning, we had pip holes everywhere. In a 4 hour span we had 8 hatch, no complications. Then, it all came to a halt. I went ahead and put the chicks in the new brooder I made and took out the largest thermometer to use in it so I would have more room in the bator. Since nothing was going on, I went about my chores. Kept checking.....nothing. Not even the ones with the ext. pips? I heard peeps here and there. Ok, it's night now, 2 finally make it out with bit of help. Yesterday morning I get up early and nothing. Some faint peeps, but not from my ext. pips. I'll help, it's been too long! If I knew for sure about shrink wrap, this is it!! My humidity is ......in the brooder! I rush and get it, 10%! I start popping off the air cells like a mad woman! Too late :( We were able to save several but lost 11. Get this, I have one "in utero" that's been alive since yesterday afternoon. Sitting in a cardboard egg carton in a bowl of warm water with plastic wrap over the air cell I ripped off. Go figure. It may not make it, but they were really due this morning so it could happen?

Well, It's gonna have to be over with me for a while :(  My heart is drained.
This was my 2nd hatch (1st was ducks). My double yolker I'm guessing died about a week ago. Did an eggtopsy today and one chick. We went to lockdown on Monday . I candled everyone and the double's shell was so dark I just couldn't tell if I saw movement or not. The bottom of the egg was almost clear, just kind of a shadow. (That's how it's been) The dark shelled eggs I water tested except the double because it had a thinning around the middle and I wasn't taking chances. All, but 2 were good and the double, unknown. They started chirping Monday night and by Wednesday morning, we had pip holes everywhere. In a 4 hour span we had 8 hatch, no complications. Then, it all came to a halt. I went ahead and put the chicks in the new brooder I made and took out the largest thermometer to use in it so I would have more room in the bator. Since nothing was going on, I went about my chores. Kept checking.....nothing. Not even the ones with the ext. pips? I heard peeps here and there. Ok, it's night now, 2 finally make it out with bit of help. Yesterday morning I get up early and nothing. Some faint peeps, but not from my ext. pips. I'll help, it's been too long! If I knew for sure about shrink wrap, this is it!! My humidity is ......in the brooder! I rush and get it, 10%! I start popping off the air cells like a mad woman! Too late :( We were able to save several but lost 11. Get this, I have one "in utero" that's been alive since yesterday afternoon. Sitting in a cardboard egg carton in a bowl of warm water with plastic wrap over the air cell I ripped off. Go figure. It may not make it, but they were really due this morning so it could happen?
What happened to your underdog chickie? Hopefully a happy end?

It didn't make it :(
I just put all my babies outside yesterday. My young duck has been sitting on what was 21 eggs. 4 days ago I candled and one was internal pipped and one trying to. I was finally able to get her off the nest to check and nothing. The internal pip died and never cracked the shell. The second was peeping softly so I scratched a tiny hole so it would have air while trying to get out. Late yesterday she got off when I "accidently" got a mist of water her way with the hose(she was so hot). She fell for it and went for a swim. The one I scratched a small hole in was covered inside and out with ants. I rinsed it off with the hose while pulling off some of the shell. To my shock it was still alive so I brought it in the house and cleaned all the ants off with warm water and put it under a lamp. Up to the attic to get the bater and 12 hours later, it's still alive.

It didn't make it :(
I just put all my babies outside yesterday. My young duck has been sitting on what was 21 eggs. 4 days ago I candled and one was internal pipped and one trying to. I was finally able to get her off the nest to check and nothing. The internal pip died and never cracked the shell. The second was peeping softly so I scratched a tiny hole so it would have air while trying to get out. Late yesterday she got off when I "accidently" got a mist of water her way with the hose(she was so hot). She fell for it and went for a swim. The one I scratched a small hole in was covered inside and out with ants. I rinsed it off with the hose while pulling off some of the shell. To my shock it was still alive so I brought it in the house and cleaned all the ants off with warm water and put it under a lamp. Up to the attic to get the bater and 12 hours later, it's still alive.
I am sorry to hear that. I'm glad you saved the other little ducking though! At least that one had a happy ending!

My duckling has finally started moving around. When I put it in the bator yesterday afternoon, it still had quite a bit of yolk to absorb. Yolk is gone now and tummy is healing. Still stumbling and fumbling. I gave it a drink of water because I'm ready for bed and it's been in there 31 hours now. Not ready to come out yet, maybe in the morning. Poor thing has puss bumps from the fire ant bites . I'm still having hope :)

Back
Top Bottom