Hatching Double Yolk Eggs!!!???

SkippyRoo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Mendocino CA.
Has anyone had an experiences hatching double yolk eggs??

I ask this because one of my sexlinks has been laying extra large eggs of which I set about five almost a week ago. Last night while preparing my dog's dinner, i cracked one of these large eggs over her bowl and out plopped a double yolker. So i am assuming that there must be a double in there. I plan to candle for the fisrt time in about five days so i will see then. Until that time it would be great to hear any of your experiences or ideas about hatching double yolkers.

Has anyone had an experiences hatching double yolk eggs??

I ask this because one of my sexlinks has been laying extra large eggs of which I set about five almost a week ago. Last night while preparing my dog's dinner, i cracked one of these large eggs over her bowl and out plopped a double yolker. So i am assuming that there must be a double in there. I plan to candle for the fisrt time in about five days so i will see then. Until that time it would be great to hear any of your experiences or ideas about hatching double yolkers.
I have 3 in the incubater now, im on day 15. I didnt know mine were twins till i candled. Ive got 1 double yolker and 2 with only a single yolk in each but 2 babies! Theres quite a few of us with twins at the moment. I candled mine today but one of them wasnt moving so im not too hopefull of any of them hatching. Ive also been told i have to assist there hatch as they wont hatch themselves.. Keep us posted..Tracy.xx

Tracy,

I'm hoping all goes well for you and your double embryo. I guess today is the day!!!

The next question that i have is if the two chicks were to survive, if it were a male and a female, would there be the chance of the female being infertile like freemartens in cattle?

Speckledhen,

So it seems like it is just the confinement issue in the egg that poses the problem?

Well i guess one in a billion are good enough odds to not just throw them out! For some reason I always root for the underdog. I think that no matter what the odds, an optimistic and hopeful attitude, even in the worst situation, is the path that feels best for me personally.

Scott

Tracy,

I'm hoping all goes well for you and your double embryo. I guess today is the day!!!

The next question that i have is if the two chicks were to survive, if it were a male and a female, would there be the chance of the female being infertile like freemartens in cattle?

Speckledhen,

So it seems like it is just the confinement issue in the egg that poses the problem?

Well i guess one in a billion are good enough odds to not just throw them out! For some reason I always root for the underdog. I think that no matter what the odds, an optimistic and hopeful attitude, even in the worst situation, is the path that feels best for me personally.

Scott
Fingers crossed mine will be ok.. Thanks scott..

Me, too!

I just candled and have 4 twin eggs at day 9, but 1 appears to have both embryos dead. I have 1 other egg from this source, but I cannot tell if there are twins in that 1. They are Silver Laced Wyandotte (not certain that makes any difference), but the shell is thicker and hard to see through; but definitely TWINS! I just read a research article from a British poultry guy where he hatched 18 chicks out of 10 eggs. All double yolk eggs.

So, it is possible, but how should one set hatching assistance guidelines for oneself? Should they be assisted? Anyone feel like posting their experiences?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom