Hatching duck egg help

amandamiffey

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Okay my duck egg is 30 today he pipped yesterday at around 5 and still no progress asked my uncle (chicken expert) he says help him out I am. But how long after he starts bleeding can I start again? He's barely peeping so I need him out fast. Help please !

Anything
?? lol this is the only egg. my dad found him alone outside his house (he lives on a lake) and i have been hatching things since i got my incubator and so i put the egg in and i can see the ducklings nose and he has a very small hole i just am not sure what to do at this point? anyone?

If he externally piped yesterday around 5 and he's bleeding you need to leave him alone! Ducks take around 24 hrs. after they pip externally to start zipping. They tend to be very quiet during this resting stage. That just means he's resting.

I recommend reading this article by Sally Sunshine. Its technically for chickens, but the same principles apply for ducks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you!!!! I'm just scared he will shrink wrap in my incubator that's my main concern! But thanks LOTS!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Its always nerve-wracking during hatching time and ducks seem to take a fair bit longer than chickens to actually hatch. Just keep the humidity up and try not to open the incubator unless absolutely necessary. I think your little one should be just fine, but of course keep an eye on him and read the article I gave you a link too. It has some really good tips on when and how to help(it can be a little gross tho, so beware). Also, because the article was written for chicks realize that the dates and times may not always be correct. For ducks, I do not intervene before 24hrs after they externally pip. Keep us updated!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom