1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching duck eggs under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewHopePoultry, May 22, 2007.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I was wondering if my broody hen could hatch out some duck eggs for me. My 2 female campells are alying eggs, but they won't sit on them.

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I dont see any problem with it as long as the ducks havent been already been broody for so long that they would give up the nest before the 28 days needed to hatch the ducks. Go for it.

chel

3. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Doesn't it take 40 days or so for ducks to hatch?

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Domestic ducks take 28 days to hatch. Muscovy take longer.

chel

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

My next door neighbour had duck eggs given to her and she put them under her broody hen and it worked perfectly, no different to chickens. the only drama she had was that the ducklings wanted to have a swim and mumma chick thought they were nutz!!!so she had the little mini pond in the brooder pen and the ducklings swam while mumma chook looked on with dismay!!!!

6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Poor Mamma chicken - [​IMG] I can just see her look of dismay ... how funny

7. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I went to an auction last week and someone brought a silkie mix broody hen in with 5 ducklings she had just hatched out. They sold for 26$ I was told you buy the hen and get the chicks (or in this case ducklings) for free. So how much is a good broody worth? Apparently 26.00 in this town.

8. bantymum

wow, thats a pretty good price, ive never bought or sold a broody, perhaps there is a market out there for broodies!!

9. bantymum

Hey Marebear, how did you go, did you try them yet?

10. silkieluv23

silkieluv23 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    I put 2 call duck eggs under my broody yesterday, could she hatch some of her own eggs as well or would that not work??
    I'm a little worrried about size as well, the ducks are small but she is a tiny little bantam!!!
    Is it always 28 days for duck eggs to hatch....... will she not give up a 3 weeks?
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by