Hatching Duck Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsFordTN, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Couple Questions from a newbie, not sure if this is even the right place for duck questions.

How long are eggs good? I mean if I picked up fresh eggs from a seller and wanted to wait on maybe a shipment or picking up more eggs, how long could I wait and during this waiting period what should I do.

I have never honestly seen a duck egg in person, how much bigger are they and will they fit in an auto turner? Do they need to be turned different then chicken eggs?

I know the hum. needs to be higher, what about temp?

Ummm, also, sexing ducks? I know some of the eggs I plan on getting are a breed, so I guess that won't be hard, but a few others are mixed all up, is there a way to tell?

Any help will be very very very welcome!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Generally the viability of an egg to hatch starts to decrease after a week or so. Freshest is definitely best- as even if an old egg is fertile and does hatch- the duckling may still be weak or have issues.

Duck eggs are bigger than a chicken egg but can still fit into a turner- but they actually do much better when laid down on their sides and hand turned.

Temp is the same as for chickens..but yes humidity is higher..55- 60% for 25 days- then 80 % for lockdown.

there are only a few breeds that are auto sexing. The rest you can either vent sex- but thats better left to someone who knows what they are doing so as not to injure the duckling- or wait a few weeks and see who QUACKS and who has a more quiet raspy voice. ... The females are louder than the males.

Hope some of this helps you.

3. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:what is the rationale for laying them flat as opposed to placing them in the incubator??????????????

4. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks so much for the info! I wouldn't even think of look at their bottoms, as I don't know what the heck I would be doing. I mean I can barely sex chickens as adults (Note I gave my grandfather a white leghorn 'rooster' that I now have eggs in the bator from...)

The guy I was going to get mixed duck eggs from disappeared, so I need to find a replacement soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by