Hatching duck is bleeding

Ducks are nothing like hatching chicks, they take what seems like forever to completely hatch. Once pipped tey rest, they zip and rest and push and rest more. Then thy tach and rest again. That duckling wasn't exactly ready by the looks of the veins still appearing large and full of blood. To keep opening the ator is to drop humidity and maybe shrink wrap those not yet hatched. That one looks lie the membrane is covering the nares though,which would interfere with breathing.

What kind of bator are you using? Is it easily moved to a bathroom where you can run a hot shower? If so you can steam up the bathroom, take that egg out closing the lid and using warm water with a Qtip gentely push the membrane back off of the beak exposing the nares so it can breath. Working quickly, but making sure you don't tear the membrane or cause more bleeding. Put it back in the bator. Make sure your temp and humidity in the bathroom stay up the entire time you work. Plug the bator in and watch the duckling hoping for the best.

Quote:
Take a warm WET Q-tip and GENTLY push the membrane back from the nares-FLChickens is correct on that.
Raise the humidity in the incubator-what is the humidity at right now?

Thank u so much for your help. Everyone on here and some on this ks forum have been really helpful. I do have some good news. My dh just came home and looked at it and he said the duck it's self is not bleeding and he used tiny sizers and cut the membrane enuf to let the duck get it's head out. It's looking a little better. We left it alone for now to see if it can get itself out the rest of the way on it's own. Fingers crossed.

So hows it going? is it out yet?
fl.gif

It's out!! It's wet and weak but it's holding it's one. I think it's umbilical cord is still hooked on but it's not bleeding. I will try to take a pic in little bit. I'm trying to keep the other two nice and moist as they hatch. Looking at them I think I messed my humidity up. I am guessing the other two r going to have a hard time too. Learning experiance for sure!!!

Quote:
Great news, The cord will dry up and fall off don't mess with it or it could start to bleed. I wouldn't open the bator up unless emergency.

Quote:
Great news, The cord will dry up and fall off don't mess with it or it could start to bleed. I wouldn't open the bator up unless emergency.

X2 can you take a pic of the cutie? I need a fix! Lol. My ducklings are due this week. And I need to see a cutie! Lol. What breed?

Quote:

X2 can you take a pic of the cutie? I need a fix! Lol. My ducklings are due this week. And I need to see a cutie! Lol. What breed?

Me too!!
smile.png

Quote:
Good deal! If you have some electrolytes, mix a tad in some warm water and dunk his little bill so he can get a jump start.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the others hatch easily and the little one makes it just fine!

Back
Top Bottom