Hatching duckling help please

frejaarose

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
Cottingham UK
Hi I am hatch my own ducklings. They are due a week on Saturday. I just wondered if someone can run me through what to do if the last 3 days? Like temp humidity and I don't turn them right? I've done lots of research but just found lots of different answers and want to make sure I do it right. I just have a small incubator without a fan if this helps.
Thanks in advance! :)

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Hi I am hatch my own ducklings. They are due a week on Saturday. I just wondered if someone can run me through what to do if the last 3 days? Like temp humidity and I don't turn them right? I've done lots of research but just found lots of different answers and want to make sure I do it right. I just have a small incubator without a fan if this helps.
Thanks in advance!
smile.png
Here's another one @RavynFallen She is one of our experts here on BYC!!

Welcome to BYC @frejaarose

Ravynscroft

For the Love of Duck
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Middle Tennessee
What kind of ducks are you hatching? Still air incubators should be set slightly higher than ones with a fan, 101-102 is a good range... yes, you stop turning 3 days before due date and up the humidity... I aim for 65% but anywhere from 65-70 is great, I tend to stay below 75 though...

Have you candled them? How do the air cells look? If they look too small, misting them once a day will actually help pull more moisture out and help the air cell growth...

frejaarose

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
Cottingham UK
They are black east indian and yes the temperature has been around that give or take so all good. Yes I ve candled them and 3 out of 6 are looking good and moving around inside. I think the air cells look good. I can try and get a picture.
So the day I stop turning is that when I raise the humidity or do I wait till I see signs of hatching before o raise it? Thanks

Ravynscroft

For the Love of Duck
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Middle Tennessee
Sounds good! A pic of air cells would be good if you can, just to make sure... :)

You can either up humidity when you stop turning or wait til first pip, that's a personal choice... unless air cells are a bit big or a bit small... if they're a bit small, I'd wait til first pip, if a bit big then I'd up it when you stop turning...

frejaarose

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
Cottingham UK
Ahh great :) so when do you think I should up the humidity? And do I do anything with the temperature or does it stay the same? I've read I am meant to lower it slightly but just want to double check what to do! Thanks

Top Bottom