Hatching Ducklings = Eggs Missing

Gferna19

Songster
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,
I have a questions about missing eggs under broody ducks.

Backstory: I have 2 ducks that went broody. I will move them everyday with the chickens trying to "break" them. My daughter is in charge of picking eggs but she thought because I'm working with them to break them, I was also picking eggs. Well, we thought the same thing 🤦‍♀️ and eggs were left in the coop for a week and with the heat, they started developing. I gave up and let my girls sit on those 11 eggs. I move the nest to a plastic container and both of them gladly sit on them. Suddenly, I was down to 9. Which I thought, this is like a mama hen and they remove the bad ones... I candle again and they all look healthy... then I went down to 5, I started blocking the way in, in the case we have an aninal sneaking in. Which I doubt because the coop is right outside my door and we are always out but I still block it anyways. This morning I found 3 only and I still don't know what's happening. All this happen in a period of 10 days. I don't think it's an animal, I see some of the shells in the floor broken. Could it be them stepping on them? I have cameras at night time and nothing has been trying to get in either.

Thanks for the help
Sorry for the long post
😊

Back
Top Bottom