Hatching Ducklings

406JLW

Hatching
Jun 9, 2020
It is difficult to see in these pictures, but I have 2 ducks setting on a whole pile of eggs. They have been setting for about 2 weeks now. You may be able to tell the brown one if all puffed up. She does not care to have me around checking them out. But I am wondering if I should try candling the eggs and getting rid of the ones that don't have ducklings in them. It just seems like a lot of eggs for the two of them to try to keep warm. We're in Montana and had a fairly cold night last night. Hoping none of them got too cold.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 9
A duckling hatched this morning and one of the ducks picked it up and whipped it around. It was then off on its own. So I put it under the other mother. They're both together in a dogloo. They're are both first time mothers. I'm not sure if she was trying to take it away from the other duck or what. But it lived for a few hours after I put it under the other duck and when I just went out it was dead. It had fluff ripped of one cheek and what appears to be a little blood around its mouth. I don't know if they killed. As the other's hatch should I put them in a brooder? I would really prefer the ducks raise them, but we'll be very said if they hatch and then are all killed.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3220.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for asking! We have 4 little ducklings. Out of 9 eggs. Not sure if we did something wrong or that is just how many didn't hatch. I opened up one after and it hadn't absorbed the yolk.
Thanks again for your help.
Jenny

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.50.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.50.54 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom