Hatching Ducklings!

AriannaCoburn

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2020
So my ducklings have made a small hole in the egg at around 1 am(it is now nearly 11) and they have pipped externally but have not made a hole yet through the membrane. I did poke a small hole so they would be able to breathe although I am still very worried... Probably a rookie mistake as I read some articles explaining.

They haven't made any more progress but I'm fairly certain that they will do it on their own

So my ducklings have made a small hole in the egg at around 1 am(it is now nearly 11) and they have pipped externally but have not made a hole yet through the membrane. I did poke a small hole so they would be able to breathe although I am still very worried... Probably a rookie mistake as I read some articles explaining.

They haven't made any more progress but I'm fairly certain that they will do it on their own
What day are they on? I always give at least 30 hours after external pip. If it made a hole in the egg already a safety hole wouldn't do anything since the whole point of the hole is to help them breathe. It's only done if they internally pipped over 24 hours ago, the hole provides fresh oxygen. It's not a big deal that you made one, but opening the incubator during hatch is bad since it lets out humidity and can shrink wrap the hatching eggs. Shrink wrapping is really bad. Give them a long time before you worry any. Ducks are really great hatchers, they've got it under control. They've been doing this for a long time. :)

What day are they on? I always give at least 30 hours after external pip. If it made a hole in the egg already a safety hole wouldn't do anything since the whole point of the hole is to help them breathe. It's only done if they internally pipped over 24 hours ago, the hole provides fresh oxygen. It's not a big deal that you made one, but opening the incubator during the hatch is bad since it lets out humidity and can shrink wrap the hatching eggs. Shrinkwrapping is really bad. Give them a long time before you worry about any. Ducks are really great hatchers, they've got it under control. They've been doing this for a long time. :)

Thanks! I have 6 out of 12 that have hatched although one of them is still connected to the shell by the cord which is really worrying me, they haven't opened their eyes but seem to be moving around

All of the other ducklings are doing great! Its a day after their hatch date:)

Thanks! I have 6 out of 12 that have hatched although one of them is still connected to the shell by the cord which is really worrying me, they haven't opened their eyes but seem to be moving around

All of the other ducklings are doing great! Its a day after their hatch date:)
Can you post a pic of the cord? Glad your other babies are doing well! Do you have any unhatched eggs left?

Can you post a pic of the cord? Glad your other babies are doing well! Do you have any unhatched eggs left?

I do have 6 left although I'm pretty sure they won't hatch
And the cord is off, although the duckling is fairly weak(won't open eyes and head is very loose/can't hold it up for long)

I do have 6 left although I'm pretty sure they won't hatch
And the cord is off, although the duckling is fairly weak(won't open eyes and head is very loose/can't hold it up for long)
Do you have any poultry electrolytes? Why don't you think the 6 will hatch? Have yoy candled them recently?

Do you have any poultry electrolytes? Why don't you think the 6 will hatch? Have yoy candled them recently?

I don't but they are doing much better! It seems all they needed was a night in the incubator
And we have sugar in their water for a boost^^

Back
Top Bottom