Hatching ducks and geese together

Poetastic

Chirping
Jan 20, 2018
Northern Illinois
Hello everyone! I'm about to hatch some Black Swedish ducks and American Buff geese. The eggs are at day 24 and as it gets closer to lockdown I have some questions. I've hatched ducks before, so I know when they hatch and when to lockdown. However, I've never hatched geese before (much less with ducks) and I am unsure on when to start my lockdown. I'm thinking about starting it tomorrow, but I would like a second opinion. Do the Buffs take longer than most breeds of geese? I have been doing tons of research but I can't find much on them.
Also, what would be the best humidity to ensure the highest hatch rate for them both? I've heard a wide range of numbers, but I'm curious to hear everyones' responses.
Thanks guys! :D

Were they all started at the same time?

Do you have only the one incubator?

The geese eggs take longer to incubate than duck eggs, but not by much...

So I would stop rotating and raise the humidity 1 day late for ducks, on time for geese...so day 27 of incubation.

At that point try to get the humidity up as high as you can.

I haven't tried to hatch goose eggs before, so googled and found this article on goose egg incubation. What is interesting is they recommend dipping the goose eggs in water once a day towards the end of incubation.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-...nd-birds/species/geese-raising/egg-production

Were they all started at the same time?

Do you have only the one incubator?

The geese eggs take longer to incubate than duck eggs, but not by much...

So I would stop rotating and raise the humidity 1 day late for ducks, on time for geese...so day 27 of incubation.

At that point try to get the humidity up as high as you can.

I haven't tried to hatch goose eggs before, so googled and found this article on goose egg incubation. What is interesting is they recommend dipping the goose eggs in water once a day towards the end of incubation.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-...nd-birds/species/geese-raising/egg-production
I have only one incubator, and all the eggs are in it.
Thanks for the response!!

Back
Top Bottom