Hatching ducks in winter in NY?

T-Amy

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Woodhull, NY
I'm probably crazy but am planning to hatch ducklings this winter and wondering how to increase my success despite the expected cold weather.

I hatched some of my current ducks & now that they're finally laying, I decided to save some & try to hatch. Unfortunately, they'll be due to hatch mid-Nov & not be at butcher weight (~16 weeks) til end of Feb... the coldest part of the year here in upstate NY.

Given how messy they are, it's not desirable to keep them inside any longer than necessary but can someone tell me at what age are they feathered enough to be outside (I can put a heat lamp in their coop but these ducks didn't seem to want to be near it (except at night and of course that was in late spring when it didn't go below 45 or 50... we can expect it to hit 0* at times here).

Wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew where I should just cook these eggs & wait til spring to hatch a new batch.

I feel that the combination of what your preferences are, and what the climate is, would lean me in the direction of wait till spring.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom