Hatching ducks naturally

Joduck

Chirping
May 15, 2021
We had our male musckovy only a short time before a fox got him 😔
But we knew he had mated with a female.
So we allowed the ducks to lay their eggs, but two were laying together and it was impossible to know which eggs were from which, so we allowed them to continue laying - because of the too many eggs we have gradually only ended up with 1 egg left. I noted approx 1 week since our duck started sitting on them, but it has been 4 weeks since that date. So we think it has been sat on approx 5 weeks.
I checked yesterday and it had pipped, I don't check daily as I don't want to disturb moma duck, so it had been a few days since I last checked.
I checked again today 24 hours and I could still hear it pipping and cheeping had joined the pipping too.
I don't know if we did the right thing but reading something else we put a tiny hole in the top of the egg where the air sack is today, it has been 5 hours or so since then and still nothing, it's still pipping.
How do I know when to help? Did we do the wrong thing adding the hole...?
We bought some new babies too so we hope we will have another drake in at least one, but this egg is very special to us as the drake was only with us a short time and he was our first male and we want him to live on in this little baby (we didn't realise we had 7 girls for a year and wondered why we had no fertile eggs 😂🤦‍♀️)
Any advice would be greatly received.

Whatss the breed of mama duck? All domestics take an average of 28 days, Muscovy 35-37. Ducklings take a long time to hatch once pipped internally best thing to do is to wait patiently.

Whatss the breed of mama duck? All domestics take an average of 28 days, Muscovy 35-37. Ducklings take a long time to hatch once pipped internally best thing to do is to wait patiently.
They are muscovy ducks.
I haven't messed things up by making the hole have I?
Thank you 💖 I think it must be about 35 days.
Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom