Hatching Ducks

Krazchicks

Chirping
Jan 17, 2018
Virginia
Ok so not sure if I'm putting this in the right place but.... I put on 18 Ancona ducks eggs last week I candled and they are all fertile so I am super excited!! I am using a little giant forced air incubator with the automatic turner my temp is at 99.5 and my humidity is hanging between 48 and 50....any tips and info on hatching ducks is greatly appreciated such as temp humidity lockdown candling and handling the eggs through the process ...I have done chicks but this is my first attempt at duck eggs and everything you read is very contradicting thanks so much!!

Sounds good! Your humidity could be a little lower believe it or not around 30-40% and just be aware for whatever reason ducks take a lot longer during the hatching process than chickens do. Your humidity during lockdown should be around 60-70%.

The reason for lower humidity is its much easier to raise it if the air cells look big than it is to lower it and try to get the aircells to grow. I had this issue myself.

Sounds good! Your humidity could be a little lower believe it or not around 30-40% and just be aware for whatever reason ducks take a lot longer during the hatching process than chickens do. Your humidity during lockdown should be around 60-70%.

The reason for lower humidity is its much easier to raise it if the air cells look big than it is to lower it and try to get the aircells to grow. I had this issue myself.

Thanks...my humidity naturally stays there I have added no water at all so I'm not sure how I could lower it...when do you put yours on lock down?? If my calculations are right they are due to hatch Easter weekend

Thanks...my humidity naturally stays there I have added no water at all so I'm not sure how I could lower it...when do you put yours on lock down?? If my calculations are right they are due to hatch Easter weekend

Humidity has everything to do with surface area, not so much depth. So whatever container the water is in, no matter how deep it is the humidity will stay the same. You have to switch to a container (or if your incubator has trays, a smaller tray) that has a smaller surface area. Ducks take 28 days to hatch, which means lockdown is on day 25.

This is an excellent article on humidity during hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

Humidity has everything to do with surface area, not so much depth. So whatever container the water is in, no matter how deep it is the humidity will stay the same. You have to switch to a container (or if your incubator has trays, a smaller tray) that has a smaller surface area. Ducks take 28 days to hatch, which means lockdown is on day 25.

This is an excellent article on humidity during hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

Mine has built in trays but I don't have water in them at all I don't add water until lockdown...great thats what I have marked on the calender so I'm gonna have easter ducks i hope lol

Its possible your hydrometer is reading wrong, especially built in ones. You can calibrate it using the instructions in the article, or if it is built in to your incubator you could consider getting another one. Your humidity isnt too high, but it really is important to be able to properly monitor the humidity.

Last edited:
Some folks like to weigh there eggs every so often especially if they washed them be for setting..as they can weigh less a tad bit fast and need a bit more water at times in the air. Some folks are able to just candle um and check space on the bigger end of egg. Of course Its best if eggs are clean enough to set with out washing the natural protector off the shell.

I have a question I'm new to this and first time
my female ducks are hatching out their own eggs all three
one just started other one has been but still no babies and other one think has been sitting for 2 to 3 weeks
I have pekin ducks
her eggs are getting that black color to them

I have a question I'm new to this and first time
my female ducks are hatching out their own eggs all three
one just started other one has been but still no babies and other one think has been sitting for 2 to 3 weeks
I have pekin ducks
her eggs are getting that black color to them
will have to take pics

I finally used my new mini advanced Brinsea i bought about 5 years ago. I put 7 eggs in and had 4 hatch . So im happy with it. The temp was hotter than what it says ..they hatched out very early into 27 day . our elevation is 7000 normal humidity for my area is 16- 20 percent. I just followed what the instruction said to fill for humidty.As my Georgia Qual thermometer wont fit to get a wet bulb reading. The ducklings that hatched were Ausy spotted ducklings known as hardest of batams.. the ones (3) that did not were larger breeds and the ducks and drakes were very old. 2 were German Saxon the other kayagu by saxon drake.

Back
Top Bottom