Hatching egg looks the same after 17 hours!?

FluffySilkie

Songster
Sep 11, 2020
image.jpg
I first noticed pipping 8 hours ago..... the she’ll piece fell off but other than that it stayed the same!? I can here the chick hard at work but it doesn’t seen to be doing anything :confused:

Last edited:
During this time the chick is absorbing the rest of its yolk sac, and learning to breathe actual air. Depending on the chick it can sometimes take 24 hours or longer from pip to zip. If you're at the eight-hour time mark, I wouldn't worry.
It’s been 14 hours now since first pip and it still looks the same :(

It's better off for the chick if you just leave it alone. I had a chick last spring that needed 48 hours and it came out just fine. Just keep the humidity high and it should be fine. Are there any other chicks in the incubator? Can you see the chicks beak? If it is moving/opening and closing that's a good sign. Is the membrane brown or yellowish? If this happens your humidity isn't high enough.

It's better off for the chick if you just leave it alone. I had a chick last spring that needed 48 hours and it came out just fine. Just keep the humidity high and it should be fine. Are there any other chicks in the incubator? Can you see the chicks beak? If it is moving/opening and closing that's a good sign. Is the membrane brown or yellowish? If this happens your humidity isn't high enough.
There are 3 other eggs in the incubator! I will check the color now!

If the other chicks haven't hatched yet, I wouldn't worry at all. How many days have they been in the incubator? I always give my chicks 24 days in the incubator: 18 being turned, 3 in lockdown, and 3 for hatching
14 more or less i had to emergency take them and made a makeshift incubator

Back
Top Bottom