Hatching Egg recommendations for a beginner??

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I'm here again asking for more advice!
wink.png
I've decided to get an incubator and would like to know if there are any particular eggs that seem to have a better hatch rate. What I would like to add to my flock are some RIR, Ameracaunas (I never spell that right), Buff Orps, Polish and possibly Silkies. Do any of these have a better success rate than the others?

TIA!
Becky
big_smile.png

If this is your first time attempting incubation i would suggest you use some of your own eggs(if you have them availible) so you dont wast money if somthing happens to your bator(temp spike, humidity problem, etc...) and kills eggs you have bought.

The hatch rate depends on how you incubate them, how the PO handles them(if you decide to go that route), or fertility on the egg. Im sure someone more knolagalbe(yes i spelt that wrong, lol) about egg hatch rates will come along and be more help to you. Good luck

Ohh BTW your screen name is awsome, lol

This may seem crazy but I always get better hatches on mixed eggs than pure. That being said the only breed I've had trouble incubating is Seramas.

Our RIR hatch fine and they are young hens with a young rooster so the fertility rate is good. The mixed eggs we got from a friend well.... I think it may have had something to do with she stored them in styrofoam egg cartons...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom