hatching eggs 10 days apart under broody hen...will this work?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
I have a question...my great rooster (buff brahma bantam) was killed by a hawk about 10 days ago. I happened to have a broody chicken at the time (I was taking her eggs waiting for her to give up)...so I decided that I would like to make another buff brahma rooster. So I let her keep any eggs my brahmas laid. I only have 2 brahmas, so I have let her have 5 eggs (1 broke) in a period of 10 days. So, the hatching will begin on April 9th and then again on the 12th, and again on the 14th and again on the 19th. I know that chickens can and will collect a clutch of eggs over a period of time, but was wondering if the span in between the hatchings will jeopardize the last eggs to hatch. I can't imagine the mother being able to control the humidity under there while she has other little chicks crawling in and out and her having to tend to them and getting them to eat and all.

I'm thinking that these chickens have been doing this for centuries and they know what they're doing...right?

Last edited:
You could try this but I wouldn't recommend it. Is there any way you can get an incubator? If not here's what I would do. Set up a brooder box and get that ready for the first few chicks. As they hatch put them in there and then just let the hen have the ones that are last to hatch. Not sure how the hen will feel about this but it's worth a try.

Great idea! I was going to take the chicks from her so that I could raise them myself ( I really want a friendly rooster) but I was going to wait. Now I won't and I'll just take them as they hatch.

Thanks so much...such a simple idea, but sometimes you need someone to point out the obvious.

Thanks again.

ps. if that's a photo of your roo...he looks real sweet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom