Hatching eggs and business advice

When I taught in a high school vet science program, I ordered hatching eggs every year. If you look on e-Bay, you will see that most sellers have a clearly stated policy that they are not responsible for the hatch rate and why. You might want to look there and see what they wrote. You might also include a website where they can get a "how to hatch" tutorial.

Not all of us customers are bad people. One time I got eggs shipped to me that were in an egg carton loose in a box. Most were broken. I politely suggested several better ways to pack and sent pictures of how to do them right. They replaced the eggs (packed properly) and thanked me- they were new to the whole thing. I have had great hatches and poor ones. The only time I felt it wasn't my fault or an act of God was when I got a bunch of rotten eggs and the seller had a lot of similar complaints. You may have to grow a thick skin and be grateful you were raised better than the nasty customer was.

well, i wouldnt have the attitude nobody can resell my stuff .. id sell what i got at a reasonable cost that im ok with - quality product at a good price .. and no im not guaranteeing a dam thing, you dont like it go somewhere else ..

My policy is no refunds, no replacements. Once the eggs leave your possession, it's USPS (and if you're shipping Priority Mail, USPS has an insurance policy that will cover damage due to their mishandling, and they DO pay out) and your customer's responsibility. You cannot guarantee hatchability, once they leave your hatchery. Commercial hatcheries that sell hatching eggs don't guarantee them, either, so why should you? Incubation methods that are practiced by the recipient vary, and it could be something as simple as the incubator is not calibrated right, which is beyond your control. It's the customer's responsibility to make sure that their incubator is attaining and maintaining the correct temperature of 99.5F, and very few of them actually do this, so they have to be tested beforehand. Even with reputable ones like the GQF Genesis Hovabator doesn't calibrate right, out of the box. I had to go through several trial and errors to get it right, with an additional thermometer/hygrometer inside the incubator to get it right. You need to tell your customers to get their incubators calibrated right BEFORE putting the eggs in, and their hatch rates will rise exponentially.

You're going to go broke if you keep giving eggs away. You've done your homework to set your prices to be reasonable. Don't let the customers run you out.

I agree with everything @kodster said.

I was shopping for grape cuttings once and I loved this guys disclaimer.

Replacement Policy It is easy to root most grape cuttings, IF THE DIRECTIONS ARE FOLLOWED PROPERLY, so there must be tangible evidence, in my opinion, that the failure was due to something that happened prior to the customer receiving the cuttings, before I will consider replacements. This may sound "hardnosed", but as a one-man business, I've yet to come up with anything more practical.

Rooted Vines I sell only unrooted cuttings. Putting roots on them is up to you. That's why we provide instructions.

You could fill in the statement for eggs.

Hatching Eggs: I sell only unhatched eggs. Hatching them is up to you. That's why we provide instructions.

----
Most egg customers are very understanding, but sometimes you can run into folks that make you want to pull your hair out.

What are many of your hatching egg policies? Do you ever give free eggs if someone claims none were fertile? What if you knew the eggs had a great fertility rate?

I am having issues with people claiming no eggs were fertile/no eggs hatched. I am trying to ask people which it was. Not hatching does not mean they were not fertile. It's...difficult. I know some people are not dishonest--they really just don't know. For example: one person did not put eggs in their incubator for two weeks. I need to continue running my farm as a business, though, and not a charity or science experiments for other people. I realize I could have hatched those birds and sold them instead, but people want another dozen for free. That puts me at losing potential birds and lost income to pay for management and improvement of my set up. I feel I need to raise prices on my birds to try to compensate for not having as many to sell because I feel pressured to give another dozen here and there away. If I do this, though, dishonest people are likely selling chicks from my eggs for cheaper to my potential customers.

Should I have people agree (in a trackable way in messages or contracts) fertility is not guaranteed? I am feeling discouraged lately. I recently had someone short me on chicks...and the situation got weird...I know it seems to be a hard year for people with livestock businesses. I have a waitlist of people wanting birds and can't give away certain breeds, like my Lavender Ameraucana, Royal Palm turkey, and Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. I also have people questioning my prices, but I research hatchery prices, other sellers in my state, Craigslist, and the farms I got my birds from to make my pricing decisions. I also factor in breed standards. I have multiple people telling me I should be charging less than $3 a bird, and I am struggling to find a good professional response to their remarks. I believe it is time for me to type out policies to have on hand to keep people from getting to me. Business advice, anyone?
Now you know why I'm retiring this Summer. Dealing with people sucks. It's your business what you charge and how you run your business. If they don't like it, tell them to buy elsewhere. As for the poor incubations, you might print off instructions to give to each buyer to improve their success rate. Whatever your policy is for returns, let them know up front. Definitely ask for the unhatched eggs back if they want replacements.

Oh, I wanted to, but she scratched her car up and is threatening to sue, saying it happened while she was getting her chicks from me. She claims it was from a dog, but I know the damage is from a human. She thought about how to retaliate for 24 hours after I asked her if she would pay me back the money she owed. I had hoped we could patch things up over the "accidental" mistake. She claimed there was no agreement she would be paying my pullet prices because now that she has them, she thinks they are too small to sex. I sent her a screenshot of her saying they needed to be pullets and insisting she could only get them if they were pullets. She agreed to the price I set for pullets before pickup. Now she is claiming we agreed to straight run after getting pullets from me. Very convenient for her. She also claimed I didn't need that money, anyway. Thanks...

When I sent her back a screenshot of our convo, she went silent. Suddenly her car had damage the next day. She sent happy emojis along with her saying a dog where I live did the damage, and she would not pursue the damage if I dropped the $11. I am hoping for no further contact from her. Really hoping it just ends without any more weirdness.

What are many of your hatching egg policies? Do you ever give free eggs if someone claims none were fertile? What if you knew the eggs had a great fertility rate?

I am having issues with people claiming no eggs were fertile/no eggs hatched. I am trying to ask people which it was. Not hatching does not mean they were not fertile. It's...difficult. I know some people are not dishonest--they really just don't know. For example: one person did not put eggs in their incubator for two weeks. I need to continue running my farm as a business, though, and not a charity or science experiments for other people. I realize I could have hatched those birds and sold them instead, but people want another dozen for free. That puts me at losing potential birds and lost income to pay for management and improvement of my set up. I feel I need to raise prices on my birds to try to compensate for not having as many to sell because I feel pressured to give another dozen here and there away. If I do this, though, dishonest people are likely selling chicks from my eggs for cheaper to my potential customers.

Should I have people agree (in a trackable way in messages or contracts) fertility is not guaranteed? I am feeling discouraged lately. I recently had someone short me on chicks...and the situation got weird...I know it seems to be a hard year for people with livestock businesses. I have a waitlist of people wanting birds and can't give away certain breeds, like my Lavender Ameraucana, Royal Palm turkey, and Welsh Harlequin duck eggs. I also have people questioning my prices, but I research hatchery prices, other sellers in my state, Craigslist, and the farms I got my birds from to make my pricing decisions. I also factor in breed standards. I have multiple people telling me I should be charging less than $3 a bird, and I am struggling to find a good professional response to their remarks. I believe it is time for me to type out policies to have on hand to keep people from getting to me. Business advice, anyone?
I learned the hard way to never let anyone on my property. I meet them at my gate with whatever they want to buy. No touch till paid for and then I hand it over. Open the gate for them to turn around and leave. I'm available by phone or email for help, questions or problems 24/7. You never know what kind of contamination they may bring to your animals from wherever they came from. You would be amazed at how many people show up with a vehicle loaded with children that they proceed to let run wild climbing in and over fences touching and grabbing anything in site and the parents are oblivious to the dangers. My animals are good socialized animals and tolerate pretty much anything but you never know what will trigger any animal when abused. I had one kid shooting my goats with a water pistol. The parent did nothing! That was the last straw! Don't bring your kids and I will meet you at my gate! Period! I have a vet on speed dial that can verify all my animals are well taken care of. What happens to them once out of my hands and control is the buyers responsibility. As far as giving freebies for eggs that don't hatch. No guarantees. Look up what others have on EBay selling their eggs. Copy the best one that you feel comfortable using for your business and hand it out with your eggs. We have no control of the hatching rate once out of our care and control ! Hope this helps!

Hi, I have not tried to sell fertile eggs but I am a consumer of many things so I'd like to respond.
#1 I think you absolutely should be giving out a sheet of hatching instructions with the disclaimer at the bottom that you do not have a money back guarantee because if directions are followed carefully, customers can expect a ___% success rate from your experience.
#2 You have done your research and set your prices. If people don't like your prices, they don't need to buy from you! A polite response such as "I have researched pricing and feel confident that this is a fair price reflecting the time, money, and effort I have put in for top quality livestock."

Lastly, times are getting harder and people are getting ruder. Stand your ground and kill 'em with kindness. It's just as hard for you to make a living! Good luck!

I learned the hard way to never let anyone on my property. I meet them at my gate with whatever they want to buy. No touch till paid for and then I hand it over. Open the gate for them to turn around and leave. I'm available by phone or email for help, questions or problems 24/7. You never know what kind of contamination they may bring to your animals from wherever they came from. You would be amazed at how many people show up with a vehicle loaded with children that they proceed to let run wild climbing in and over fences touching and grabbing anything in site and the parents are oblivious to the dangers. My animals are good socialized animals and tolerate pretty much anything but you never know what will trigger any animal when abused. I had one kid shooting my goats with a water pistol. The parent did nothing! That was the last straw! Don't bring your kids and I will meet you at my gate! Period! I have a vet on speed dial that can verify all my animals are well taken care of. What happens to them once out of my hands and control is the buyers responsibility. As far as giving freebies for eggs that don't hatch. No guarantees. Look up what others have on EBay selling their eggs. Copy the best one that you feel comfortable using for your business and hand it out with your eggs. We have no control of the hatching rate once out of our care and control ! Hope this helps!
I fully agree. I sell on eBay 4th year now and there’s a disclaimer with no refunds or exchanges. I give a complete description on how to hatch eggs and what happens when eggs don’t hatch. I would make sure eggs sold are fresh. Anything over a week ish/10days may not hatch. I use the first in first out system so old eggs don’t get mixed with new eggs. About five or six times a year someone messages stating none were fertile. I politely correct them first stating basically that fertility is checked weekly/daily sometimes and that it only takes a rooster one copulation for a hen to lay fertile egg for roughly 2-3 weeks. I recommend they have a second hygrometer to verify temps/humidity. I usually don’t go back and forth too much. I will offer a second order free other than shipping if they are nice about it and I have extra eggs. I never leave positive feedback unless they do so first as I will definitely leave negative feedback to a buyer who leaves me negative feedback without messaging me first. Looks like you are selling at your farm and people are buying there. Just be straight when they buy the eggs that there’s no refund policy and be done with it. No need to explain yourself if they come back. Policy is policy. I’ve never heard of people coming back for a second free order when they’ve pick them up. Lastly, NEVER let people near your chickens unless they leave their shoes at the truck or put on footies. You can easily introduce coccidia to your flock which could have a devastating impact. Biosecurity is very important. I’ve lost pets this way and lastly I don’t trust people, except your friends of course. They steal anything and everything. Plants, chickens, your lawnmower. Hope this is helpful. Best.

Well, a person who bought 6 Ameraucanas is reselling them for higher today, so that answers my gut feeling that raising my prices from $8 to $12 is the right call. I had someone do this with eggs for eating as well. She was selling them as hatching eggs, reselling them for higher as eating eggs, and hatching them herself and guessing the breeds. She even asked me to lower the prices so she could make more money! As though what she was doing was ok. My reaction to these situations is that I must need to raise prices to deter people like that who will undermine my business and take customers away with my own products.

I am reminding myself if I lower prices, people are probably going to resell for higher for anything I am selling. :thumbsup
There are people out there on FB marketplace and craigslist who live entirely by flipping free animals and objects

Never underestimate the depths humans will sink to

Back
Top Bottom