Hatching eggs arriving a day apart

hoosierhens101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 11, 2018
Central Indiana
I have 2 batches of eggs arriving a day and 1/2 apart. I know to let shipped eggs settle upright for 6-24 hours. My question is since it will be more like 48 hour, do I store them upright in a cool place 55 degrees like I did as I was collecting my own eggs to hatch as a batch or room temperature which is around 75 degrees right now.

Go for cooler. The cooler it is the better survivability of the zygote. If you don't have detached/damaged air cells you need to keep turning eggs while storing them.
I'm not sure if one really 'needs' to.

I never did and they all hatched fine.

Go for cooler. The cooler it is the better survivability of the zygote. If you don't have detached/damaged air cells you need to keep turning eggs while storing them.
Thank you. I read 55 degrees is optimal for storage. Last time I set my wine frig to that setting and stored them in there. It worked great. Hopefully the postal services will be kinder this time around. Last time I had broken eggs, scrambled eggs and almost all the remaining had detached air cells . Thanks for the storage advice

I have 2 batches of eggs arriving a day and 1/2 apart. I know to let shipped eggs settle upright for 6-24 hours. My question is since it will be more like 48 hour, do I store them upright in a cool place 55 degrees like I did as I was collecting my own eggs to hatch as a batch or room temperature which is around 75 degrees right now.
either way. There is just a certain temp that you dont want it to get above.

Does your wine fridge maintain higher humidity? If so that will be ideal with the 55F.
Research shows that frequent turning is important, not only the first couple weeks of incubation but also during storage. If you store eating eggs too long with the large end up, the combination of the chelazae stretching and moisture loss will put the yolk at the top with no albumen between it and the air cell. For a good incubation environment, it is important to keep the yolk suspended in the middle of the albumen.

Last edited:
Does your wine fridge maintain higher humidity? If so that will be ideal with the 55F.
Research shows that frequent turning is important, not only the first couple weeks of incubation but also during storage. If you store eating eggs too long with the large end up, the combination of the chelazae stretching and moisture loss will put the yolk at the top with no albumen between it and the air cell. For a good incubation environment, it is important to keep the yolk suspended in the middle of the albumen.
I was curious so I measured the humidity in the wine frig and it is 50%. That should be pretty good right?

Back
Top Bottom